Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Post Reply
Enterprise-Architect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Enterprise-Architect » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi, I was wondering if someone knows who the maker of a pocket knife with this tang stamp is. I am adding pictures of the stamp and the knife. Thank you!
Tang Stamp
Tang Stamp
Knife
Knife

User avatar
Ridgegrass
Posts: 1559
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: Ocean City, MD
Contact:

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Ridgegrass » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:33 pm

European? Are the scales horn or metal? J.O'.

Enterprise-Architect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Enterprise-Architect » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:53 pm

@Ridgegrass I am not sure if it is US or European. I looked at several Soligen marks and does not seem to match any of them, if that helps.

It was acquired in the US. The scales are one piece copper/nickel likely metal. This tang stamp is the only marking for the knife. Thanks for your help!

User avatar
Papa Bones
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2899
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm
Location: Alabama, Roll Tide Country

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Papa Bones » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 pm

Enterprise-Architect wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 pm
Hi, I was wondering if someone knows who the maker of a pocket knife with this tang stamp is. I am adding pictures of the stamp and the knife. Thank you!
silver-bell.jpg
silver-bell-2.jpg
Is the bottom photo the same knife? On the blade to the right it almost looks like it has some marking or etching? I enlarged that section, changed the contrast, but can't make it out.
silver-bell-3.jpg
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Enterprise-Architect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Enterprise-Architect » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:23 pm

Papa Bones wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:43 pm
Is the bottom photo the same knife? On the blade to the right it almost looks like it has some marking or etching? I enlarged that section, changed the contrast, but can't make it out.
silver-bell-3.jpg
This is the same knife. Sorry about the awful resolution. The marking is that tang stamp above. Thanks!

User avatar
Papa Bones
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2899
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:29 pm
Location: Alabama, Roll Tide Country

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Papa Bones » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm

Enterprise-Architect wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 pm
Hi, I was wondering if someone knows who the maker of a pocket knife with this tang stamp is. I am adding pictures of the stamp and the knife. Thank you!
silver-bell.jpg
silver-bell-2.jpg
Check this thread. Bottom photo, Different knife, but Looks like the same tang stamp. viewtopic.php?t=46080

According to mason:
Mason wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:16 am
That was a trademark of Hermann Schulder who was established as a cutler in Germany in 1853. The three "S" trademark was registered in 1897
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Madmarco » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm

I can't help to identify your stamp E-A, but, ::welcome:: to AAPK! 8)
8)

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2411
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Madmarco » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Papa Bones wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm
Enterprise-Architect wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 pm
Hi, I was wondering if someone knows who the maker of a pocket knife with this tang stamp is. I am adding pictures of the stamp and the knife. Thank you!
silver-bell.jpg
silver-bell-2.jpg
Check this thread. Bottom photo, Different knife, but Looks like the same tang stamp. viewtopic.php?t=46080
That's teriffic research Smitty, finding that link back all that way! Kudos! 8)
8)

Enterprise-Architect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Enterprise-Architect » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Papa Bones wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm


Check this thread. Bottom photo, Different knife, but Looks like the same tang stamp. viewtopic.php?t=46080

According to mason:
Mason wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:16 am
That was a trademark of Hermann Schulder who was established as a cutler in Germany in 1853. The three "S" trademark was registered in 1897

Fantastic! Thank you very much!

Enterprise-Architect
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:29 pm

Re: Help Identifying a vintage tang stamp

Post by Enterprise-Architect » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:45 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:06 pm
I can't help to identify your stamp E-A, but, ::welcome:: to AAPK! 8)
Thanks!

Post Reply

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”