Inox horn handled switchblade

This place is specifically allocated for discussing and showing off those knives from areas of the world other than the United States.
User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi guys , ok i got this old horn handled switchblade as a gift for doing some work on a friends knife , it doesnt work 100% but im going to dismantle it and re build it , now these are iligal to carry in the uk and ive not owned one since the 80's and they was illegal then as well i think , so all it says is INOX (stainless steel) on the blade , what era would you think this is from ? I was thinking possibly 60's 70's ? Ill take more pics as i repair it ::tu::
20210515_151410-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

wiseguy
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by wiseguy » Sat May 15, 2021 7:38 pm

It has the most modern button setup , I’m not exactly sure when this was implemented ,,,,probably 70/80s >

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by Madmarco » Sat May 15, 2021 7:47 pm

It's a cool little knife to bring back to life Paul. From what I can see it appears to be a swivel bolster release model and the liners aren't "D" stamped, as well as it having a flat-grind blade, so it appears to be a newer model from after 1962, but those observations are only my opinion, wait for Bill D. to see it and he give you more accurate information. It'll be fun watching you re-build this knife Paul, please keep us posted along with pictures! 8)
8)

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks guys for the info ::tu:: im going to try and save the horn covers , but if not im going to put stag covers on that ill age , this is my first switchblade restoration as not common in the uk ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Well thats it broken down , im going to put Stag scsles on it ::tu:: will need a good clean and possibly ill need to make a new button side liner as the pin hole has worn so the blade doesnt close all the way in ::tu::
20210517_092514-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 12170
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by doglegg » Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm

Enjoying the progress Paul. ::tu:: ::tu::

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:07 pm

doglegg wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:16 pm
Enjoying the progress Paul. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you im really looking forward to sorting it out ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by Madmarco » Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm

zed6309 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 pm
Well thats it broken down , im going to put Stag scsles on it ::tu:: will need a good clean and possibly ill need to make a new button side liner as the pin hole has worn so the blade doesnt close all the way in ::tu:: 20210517_092514-01.jpeg
This will be a great project Paul. If the blade is peeking you definitely should build a new liner, cuz the peeking will bother you to no end if you don't correct it. This is just a suggestion and haven't tried it myself, but, I'm wondering if you could put a drop of solder in the existing catch-hole and then drill a new hole into the solder. I know this has been done for pivot holes, but don't know if it would work for the catch hole. As I said, just a suggestion. Your knife will look teriffic with stag covers too! 8)
8)

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:31 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 7:13 pm
zed6309 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:35 pm
Well thats it broken down , im going to put Stag scsles on it ::tu:: will need a good clean and possibly ill need to make a new button side liner as the pin hole has worn so the blade doesnt close all the way in ::tu:: 20210517_092514-01.jpeg
This will be a great project Paul. If the blade is peeking you definitely should build a new liner, cuz the peeking will bother you to no end if you don't correct it. This is just a suggestion and haven't tried it myself, but, I'm wondering if you could put a drop of solder in the existing catch-hole and then drill a new hole into the solder. I know this has been done for pivot holes, but don't know if it would work for the catch hole. As I said, just a suggestion. Your knife will look teriffic with stag covers too! 8)
Cheers Marco ::tu:: i was thinking about doing something with the hole but might be easier making a new liner ? Although ive never done that before , this is my first switchblade restoration, so fingers crossed ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by Madmarco » Mon May 17, 2021 7:36 pm

I'm sure you'll do fine Paul. I can't honestly say if building a new liner would be easier, I guess it's something you'll need to decide. I would suggest you do whichever method you're most comfortable with. If I can offer any assistance along the way, please just let me know, and I'll try to help if I can. 8)
8)

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm

Big thanks to JJ for the message anout sorting out the hole on the liner ::tu:: i did a bit more today , outer cover was fun lol , im happy with how they look ::tu::
20210518_150314-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

wiseguy
Posts: 943
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by wiseguy » Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Looking good ! ::tu:: ::tu::

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:40 pm

wiseguy wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm
Looking good ! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks JJ and thanks for the help mate via messages ::tu:: appreciated, im a big antler fan so thought what not ::tu:: Im taking this build slowly abd doing bits here and there as in no hurry ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2058
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by Madmarco » Tue May 18, 2021 6:55 pm

zed6309 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm
Big thanks to JJ for the message anout sorting out the hole on the liner ::tu:: i did a bit more today , outer cover was fun lol , im happy with how they look ::tu:: 20210518_150314-01.jpeg
It's coming along nicely Paul. Your choice of covers is spectacular, that's some gnarly lookin' stag. Would you mind sharing JJ's method for repairing the catch-hole for future reference? Thx! 8)
8)

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2096
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Inox horn handled switchblade

Post by zed6309 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:29 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 6:55 pm
zed6309 wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 2:42 pm
Big thanks to JJ for the message anout sorting out the hole on the liner ::tu:: i did a bit more today , outer cover was fun lol , im happy with how they look ::tu:: 20210518_150314-01.jpeg
It's coming along nicely Paul. Your choice of covers is spectacular, that's some gnarly lookin' stag. Would you mind sharing JJ's method for repairing the catch-hole for future reference? Thx! 8)
Cheers Marco and this is what JJ said to do ::tu::

i typically repair "blade peek" on Italian knives fairly easily by simply "moving " the worn liner metal back into place
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

Post Reply

Return to “European And Other Foreign Manufactured Knives”