Old Case Knife Identification

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Branden3006

Old Case Knife Identification

Post by Branden3006 »

Hello, a friend of mine asked me to post this knife. He is just wanting some general information on it. I believe he paid $180 for it. If you look closely with a magnifying glass you can see Bradford PA stamped. Were just wondering what the knife is called, what year it is, handle material, and value etc. Thanks in advance for any information!!
AFA21E57-11E8-4684-862C-2BC0907E7997.jpeg
7EEBCF95-14A5-47AB-B49B-DAD56E47112E.jpeg
44DCA153-118A-49C3-BE75-0B533F18304E.jpeg
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Old Case Knife Identification

Post by knifegnome »

I am not a Case expert , the complete tang is not readable to me so hard to be specific ,the Bradford stamp was used up to the early 1920's.The single blade ,no bottom bolster is sometimes referred to as a boys knife.The handles are candystripe celluloid.Value ?.I do have a question and don't want to sound rude,I am curious why someone would pay $180 for a knife and not know the questions you are asking.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:37 pm ?.I do have a question and don't want to sound rude,I am curious why someone would pay $180 for a knife and not know the questions you are asking.
My exact thoughts when I read that too!

Bob
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Possibly a 6202 pattern. What is the closed length of the knife? From what I can see of it there are a couple of possible stamp variations that might fit. Either way the knife has some obvious condition issues, in my opinion your friend way overpaid for it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Branden3006

Post by Branden3006 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:35 pm Possibly a 6202 pattern. What is the closed length of the knife? From what I can see of it there are a couple of possible stamp variations that might fit.

Ken
He said 3 1/4 to 3 5/16
Branden3006

Post by Branden3006 »

knifegnome wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:37 pm I am not a Case expert , the complete tang is not readable to me so hard to be specific ,the Bradford stamp was used up to the early 1920's.The single blade ,no bottom bolster is sometimes referred to as a boys knife.The handles are candystripe celluloid.Value ?.I do have a question and don't want to sound rude,I am curious why someone would pay $180 for a knife and not know the questions you are asking.
The guy isn’t hurting for money and it caught his eye, just the way he is.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Branden3006 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:48 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:35 pm Possibly a 6202 pattern. What is the closed length of the knife? From what I can see of it there are a couple of possible stamp variations that might fit.

Ken
He said 3 1/4 to 3 5/16
That would be right for a 6202. The 6202 is a barehead (no cap bolster) jack, commonly made from the earliest days of Case. Knife is probably in excess of 100 years old. In that condition maybe worth about $50-$80. JMO. (That’s not an offer!) :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've never seen Candy Strip cell so dark, interesting.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Branden3006

Post by Branden3006 »

40 some people bid on the knife at auction i guess and it went for $180
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

IMHO $180 is about what it's worth if in mint condition. Strange things can sometimes happen at auctions.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Branden3006

Post by Branden3006 »

Thanks for the info everyone, was hoping for some more dramatic news but nonetheless it’s pretty cool for being over 100 years old. If you zoom in on the one pic you can see
BRADFORDPA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Your friend should not despair. What counts is that he likes the knife. Very few of us collect knives as an investment and those that do rarely get rich!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Branden3006

Post by Branden3006 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:50 am Your friend should not despair. What counts is that he likes the knife. Very few of us collect knives as an investment and those that do rarely get rich!

Ken
Your right about that, he’s by no means into them for the money. He just likes the knife, it’s his style of knife, fits him perfectly. It’s pretty cool how each of us have our own styles that we collect!!
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

Just the history of that one would lure me into slipping it in my pocket. The value vs how much was paid is a non-issue if your friend is happy. I know for sure that I have overpaid on more than one occasion. It just happens sometime.

Something about an old knife in the hand. Just the feel of it and the thoughts of what it's been through and who all it may have served. I think that's basically the mystic of collecting them. Someone loved that one or else it probably would not have survived.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”