Commercials I Like and Hate

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Commercials I Like and Hate

Post by Jeffinn » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:45 am

I normally don’t watch much tv. But in the winter months in Michigan there’s not much to do so I spend a little time watching the nonsense on television. The vast majority of commercials are somewhat insulting but I guess that sells products.
There are a few that routinely get my attention though (some in a funny way and some not so much):
1. Funny - The woodchucks chucking wood commercial-I believe this is a Geico car insurance commercial but those dang woodchucks chucking wood make me laugh every time I see/hear it!
2. Really? - The Pure Leaf Teamaster commercial- I originally thought this was a made up profession but after doing some quick research online I discovered it was a real job. I’m not sure if you have to go to tea college or if there’s a tea degree program. I do feel confident in saying that if this is your profession, you’re probably one of the most boring people on the planet! Can you imagine the conversation you’d have with one of these folks at a social gathering?
3. Pathetic - The Dominoes Worlds Fastest Pizza Maker Champion commercial. Sighhhhhh, slinging pizza for one of the fast food pizza joints is fine if you’re looking to make some cash. But if you’re a middle aged man who spends his time shouldering a make believe title belt for being the worlds fastest pizza maker then you should probably seek professional help.
4. Insulting - Any of the Clorox Bleach commercials - They all depict men as total dolts. You may have seen a few of their choice commercials. You know, the ones that show a man cleaning a fish on their granite kitchen counter exclaiming to his wife as she walks through the door “look, dinner” or the one showing grandpa with a fresh chicken marionette doing a chicken dance puppet show on the same counter.
5. - Sad - The end of “The Most Interesting Man in the World” commercials. These beer commercials were fun to watch. Unfortunately, the beer company responsible for them listened to one of their marketing geniuses who convinced them that it was time to retire “The Most Interesting Man”. He was apparently too old and dated and they needed something new and hip to attract young drinkers.
Feel free to add your favorite or most hated commercial to the list.
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jeffinn

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Commercials I Like and Hate

Post by jerryd6818 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:28 am

Sorry I can't think of any right now Jeff. I zone out on most of them, my eyes glaze over and all I hear is blah, blah, blah.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:02 am

When we got our new Honda CRV it came with Sirius Satellite Radio. We've had it about a year to 18 months. We renewed Sirius because we liked it so well.

Most annoying radio commercial on Sirius Radio is the cars for kids commercial. It has a jingle which tends to stay in your head:
"One eight hundred Cars For Kids..." is the way it starts off and my wife and I both dive for the radio to change stations. I have been stabbed play her fingernails because I beat her to the radio. We both hate the commercial because the jingles tends to stay in your head for hours after you hear the commercial!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
Rule 9 - Always carry a knife. - Jethro Gibbs

mrwatch

Post by mrwatch » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:08 am

some "mouldi oldies" Brusha brusha here the new Ipana. Brand of tooth paste with Bucky Beaver. The burger commercial, lady asks Where the beef? She reportedly went in the Tonight Show, so they fired her? So use BABO the foaming cleanser. it cleans the dirt right down the drain. nice singing, my kid said did they really have commercials on TV like that? yes they did. and Flo for Progressive insurance., getting old, I liked the early Gecko ad's

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:41 am

Speaking of commercials sticking in your head, Ajax was the foaming cleanser and I totally agree, Flo is beyond her shelf life.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:46 am

Thanks Dale ::disgust::
Now it's in my head. ::sot::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am

That Geico pig going wee wee wee all the way home ...
that double-clutch wee-wee-weeeee cracks me up every time ...
:roll:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Sooo many to chose from. Hands down the J.G. Wentworth commercials are the worst. Then comes the Rx commercials. Then the Medicaid Advantage commercials. I can’t change the channel fast enough when any of these come on.
I use to like car commercials and still like some. But GM started these “surprise it’s Chevy” crap and I hate those. Any car commercial that makes me go ahhh, I like that car is still good.
One of the funniest commercials to me was a Mt Dew commercial back 15 or 20 years ago. It starts out like a nature documentary about big horn sheep and then you see the Mt Dew and a young man. Next thing you know they are butting heads over the Mt Dew. Hilarious. Pepsi had a great marketing team back then, wonder where they lost it?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm

::facepalm:: putting old classic hits to commercials, to me it's disgraceful to the people who recorded them! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Can't stand all the e.d. commercials.
And it seems their prevalent during many of the sporting events, obviously a time when the majority of the viewing audience is male.
I watch my share of sports, and occasionally the grandkids are around. Fortunately they haven't inquired about the commercials - yet.
But I'm ready with an answer... Go ask your dad.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:06 pm

I don't watch much TV but when I go to visit my mother the TV is always on and the volume is up. Daytime TV is full of prescription drug and ambulance chasing attorney commercials that I could easily live without.

I think it is criminal that big pharma spends so much TV advertising money on pushing pills to the consumer that can't directly purchase the product. "Ask your doctor". I wonder what costs for these drugs would be without the advertising and lobbying money spent on pushing the pills.

All the victims that have won the windfall law suits appear to be perfectly healthy and happy. Maybe I shouldn't have spent my life working for a living and just slipped on the floor at wallyworld?

In addition I'm not sure that Matthew McConaugnhey drives a Lincoln.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Steve Warden wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:58 pm
Can't stand all the e.d. commercials.
And it seems their prevalent during many of the sporting events, obviously a time when the majority of the viewing audience is male.
I watch my share of sports, and occasionally the grandkids are around. Fortunately they haven't inquired about the commercials - yet.
But I'm ready with an answer... Go ask your dad.
Good answer Steve!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:29 pm

Special for Dale. First I've seen it. The one I always heard was on WGN radio station in Chicago.

The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jmh58 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:44 pm

I mute ALL commercials.. ::disgust::
John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:57 pm

I don’t watch much television unless it’s TCM, college football or MLB, but I manage to avoid most television commercials. TCM doesn’t have commercials during movies, just in between and even those are minimal, usually advertising other upcoming movies. College football I frequently DVR so I skip the commercials. And other than the Rangers I watch baseball on the MLB app which is commercial free unless somebody there forgets to hit the button and turn them off between innings. MLB blacks out the local team or I’d watch them there also.

Of those I do see, the political ads irritate me most regardless who does them. ::td:: Most of the commercials I’m subjected to are on the local radio stations. Dale, y’all are listening to the wrong channel on Sirius XM. The ones we listen to don’t play commercials.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”