Case Copper Block?

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Copper Block?

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is something I am not familiar with. Should I be? Is this something historical? I have noted the seller and won't be surprised if it is some sort of hoax. Please someone enlighten me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CASE-X ... 0290.m3507
Attachments
Case copper block.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Copper Block?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think it is legit. My dad's cousin was an engraver who made those copper printing plates. He had a lot of old ones in his shop back in the early 60s. They did exist and that looks like one to me.

The asking price is outrageous IMHO, but not surprising for the seller. ::td::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:I think it is legit. My dad's cousin was an engraver who made those copper printing plates. He had a lot of old ones in his shop back in the early 60s. They did exist and that looks like one to me.

The asking price is outrageous IMHO, but not surprising for the seller. ::td::

Ken
So what would that be used for Ken? Printing a catalog picture perhaps. Only thing I can think of.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

These were used for catalogs and also magazine and newspaper ads. There were a lot of Marbles knife company ones on ebay recently. As Mumbly says price is ridiculous as are most of the sellers prices.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

They were used before the days of inexpensive high resolution photography. I have some reprints of old catalogs and at least one old original catalog, from the 20s and 30s, where the images were printed from engraved blocks.

Dad's cousin was both an artist and engraver. Some of the copper plate engravings he made were full page size images. Taking a graphic artist's original artwork, he engraved an identical mirror image of it onto a copper plate. (Sorta like what they said about Ginger Rogers - she did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards). That plate was used to print the image onto paper in the catalog, magazine or newspaper.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Printer block proported to be for the 1938 Case catalog.I have the sunfish block someplace.A dealer from the East had severalof them10-12 years ago.They were all in Those tested blue boxes with the pattern# written on them.They came from the Jim Giles collection,a former Case executive.
Roger
Gatorfleas

Post by Gatorfleas »

Ole Fleas here....they are legit case copper print blocks.....I have 3 of them that I bought from Jay Parker at SMKW.....went up to his office and there was this big green cabinet that came out of the original case factory....it was full of those copper blocks ....Tons of tested ere paperwork and assorted case old signed papers....I bought 3 of those blocks also I bought a original w r case stock certificate.....unused...I tore it out of the binder with some that had been sold....also I bought a office paper from a w r case meeting from 1917....it was pretty mind blowing to be handling items from the original case tested era....I was shaking with excitement like a kid in a new candy store....really.....really ...cool....here are a few pics of my treasures....
IMG_6391.JPG
IMG_6388.JPG
...hope y'all enjoy looking at them.....peace out fleas
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Cool pickups Fleas! Show us a close up of that box the blocks were in. That looks like the real deal with those metal corners. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gatorfleas

Post by Gatorfleas »

Hey gsmith....I don't have it with me at the moment...it is at our house in North georgia....but I was told that it was one of the old original boxes...it is Brown all over and has the metal on all corners and if I recall it is a fold down top....but we are headed up to that house in 2 or 3 wks....I will try too remember to take another pic of it gman......it was so cool to hold that original stock certificate.....I bout passed out....so cool...I have no idea what the collection would be worth though.....peace out....fleas
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Very nice pickup Fleas! I've got a box that some knives came in with the metal corners. It's dated 1937.
Attachments
20180422_212831.jpg
20180422_212843.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
junom

Post by junom »

Hi, if you do a close up on the knife it's a mirror image with a backwards shield,and a up side down tang stamp I bet someone had a lot of time on their hands and went to work on that thing. George God bless
junom

Post by junom »

Whatever they stamp it on the tang stamp will always be wrong, the shield will come out correct. George

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”