Case fixed blade question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
bluelabs2

Case fixed blade question

Post by bluelabs2 »

I recently purchased a Case Tested XX hunting knife. The back of the tang has the word CODY stamped on it. I saw a knife listed on Ebay with the identical stamping on the both the front and back of the tang. Does someone know the significance of the CODY stamp? Would appreciate any light that could be shed on this.
John T. Jeffery

Re: Case fixed blade question

Post by John T. Jeffery »

I posted your question to the Case Collectors Club Forum today. I am a Life Member. I will let you know if I get a response. I have a good library of knife collecting books, but do not recall ever seeing the tang stamp you mention.
John T. "Jack" Jeffery
Life Member, Case Collector's Club
"A man without a knife is a man without a life!"
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

bluelabs2 wrote:Does someone know the significance of the CODY stamp? Would appreciate any light that could be shed on this.
Buffalo Bill Cody

I have one that is stamped Carson, as in Kit Carson

Just another way to sell knives by associating a well know name with a knife brand. ::nod::

M.B.
AAPK Janitor
John T. Jeffery

I already got a response at the Case Collectors Forum: "Is the blade etched? A photo would help."

bluetabs 2 - any chance of posting a photo?
John T. "Jack" Jeffery
John T. Jeffery

The following reply was posted today to the Case Collectors Club Forum by pirate4722:

"BOONE,CARSON,CENTO,CODY,EXPERT,SCOUT,& X-PERT.No one has ever been able to reliably explain these marks.There is also no known written explanation.Also all known knives that bear any of these marks have been long tailed c's made before 1934.I have a Greenbone #600 fishing knife marked CENTO and this holds true with it.I also might add any of these such marked pieces are rare,some more so than others.Especially if it's in good + or better condition and especially if it has the original sheath.Most of which say SPORTSMAN and have the image of a deer or are the old basket weave type.All known origanals also have the keeper strap snap that says CASE TESTED XX,with long tailed C."
John T. "Jack" Jeffery
John T. Jeffery

I should have checked Jim Sargent's American Premium Guide to Knives & Razors: Identification and Value Guide, 6th ed. (Iola, WI: KP Books, 2004) in the first place! And I knew better, but as many times as I have read over Bradley Wood's article "Case Fixed Blade Hunting Knives" (pp. 240-248) in that volume I never noticed the information that Pirate related on the Case Collectors Club Forum.

This is the exact quote from Wood's article, pg. 240 -

"In Case's earlier years, some hunting knives were stamped on the back tang with different names. The names I have seen are: BOONE, CARSON, CENTO, CODY, EXPERT, HOBO, SCOUT, and X-PERT. In my experience, all these knives, except for the HOBO marked pattern, were stamped on the front tang with the "Curved Tail C" Tested stamping and had non-chrome plated blades. Since the blades weren't chromed, they were all probably produced prior to 1934."

Wood has an extensive footnote on the HOBO marked pattern on page 246 comparing and contrasting it to the Sportsman Set.

The information concerning some of the patterns involved with this name marking found accompanying the photos of these examples from Bradley Wood's and Tony Clemmons' collections (Sargent, op. cit., pg. 6, pp. 248-270) is as follows:

1. HOBO Set, rare, $2,500.00, pg. 249.
2. CODY, pattern 5324, split stag, $275.00, pg. 252.
3. CARSON, pattern 5325-5, split stag, $300.00, pg. 253.
4. CARSON (no picture), pattern 5235-6 (possible misprint of pattern as all of the others listed in this place are 5325-6!), split stag, $375.00, pg. 253.
5. SCOUT (no picture), pattern 5361, split stag, $250.00, pg. 255.
6. BOONE, Small Bowie pattern, green bone, $250.00, pg. 258.
7. CENTO, pattern 62-5, one in green bone, one in Rogers bone, $200.00, pg. 260.
8. CARSON, pattern 325-5, leather, $150.00, pg. 262.
9. CARSON, pattern 325-6, leather, $150.00, pg. 262.
10. SCOUT, pattern 361, leather, $150.00, pg. 263.
11. EXPERT, pattern 208-6, checkered hard rubber, $75.00, pg. 270.

Hope this helps!
John T. "Jack" Jeffery
Bank2collect

Post by Bank2collect »

I know it's a old post but would you sell the Cody knife?
junebug

Post by junebug »

hehehhe

WHO?? the guy from 2009 with only 1 post....and never been back since GUY??? ::super_happy::

::poke:: j/k man......he's long gone bro ::nod::

may try a want ad...in WANTED section ::tu::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
John T. Jeffery

junebug wrote:hehehhe
WHO?? the guy from 2009 with only 1 post....and never been back since GUY??? ::super_happy::
::poke:: j/k man......he's long gone bro ::nod::
may try a want ad...in WANTED section ::tu::
I noticed that he joined the list the same day he posted the question, so he may be a "one shot and gone" deal. ::td:: :?

Or, worse yet, something may have happened to him that prevents him from further interaction. ::shrug:: ::pray::
John T. "Jack" Jeffery
Bank2collect

Post by Bank2collect »

Lol...thanks guys, I contacted him by email and he responded
Bank2collect

Post by Bank2collect »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
bluelabs2 wrote:Does someone know the significance of the CODY stamp? Would appreciate any light that could be shed on this.
Buffalo Bill Cody

I have one that is stamped Carson, as in Kit Carson

Just another way to sell knives by associating a well know name with a knife brand. ::nod::

M.B.
Do you still have the Carson and is it for sale?
Bank2collect

Post by Bank2collect »

I have two scouts, would love to get one of each!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
image.jpg
Bank2collect

Post by Bank2collect »

Here is another beauty that is rare with the stainless blade
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg