Question about a knife I inherited

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Yahoo89

Question about a knife I inherited

Post by Yahoo89 »

It looks like the bottom was part of a WW1 trench knife with the knuckles but the top a kbar?

Not a knife expert by any stretch.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Not looking to sell, just looking for info.

This was given to me by my grandfather, he was not military or anything, he found it when he was a building super many years ago.
Attachments
IMG_4479.jpeg
IMG_4480.jpeg
IMG_4481.jpeg
IMG_4482.jpeg
IMG_4483.jpeg
IMG_4485.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Question about a knife I inherited

Post by treefarmer »

Welcome to AAPK, Yahoo89. ::handshake::
The first picture shows the knife maker as PAL, so that will probably put that knife in the WWII era. Just looking around on the web, those PAL military knives were designated PAL RH-36, they had stacked leather handles. I would guess that somebody modified it with the handle that is similar to the WWI trench knife. The critter head on the pommel is interesting, is it a lion?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The OP's knife has PAL on one side and USMC on the other, making it a WW2-era 1219C2 that has been rehandled at some point in its lifespan.
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

Yep, a PAL miltary issue. Else it might have the RH model number instead of just PAL (PAL RH-36, RH-37 and so on - a Remington name sake)
Here is what it may have once looked like:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/364955684446?i ... R-6DpPCTZA
eveled

Post by eveled »

The story is that the leather handles would rot off. Then machinists mates on Navy vessels would cast aluminum handles onto the knives. The 1918 handle was a popular knife to use as a pattern. They would make a sand mold using the original handle then pour in molten aluminum. (From Kamikazi planes).

The most famous person to (cast handles on a ship) was Eugene W. Stone, his originals are practically priceless today.

No way to know if yours is a period replacement or, a modern attempt. Without some documentation or provenance it is impossible to tell. Putting an approximate date on when he found it, may help your opinion of its authenticity.

This is not my picture not my knives, but a great representation of Mr Stones knives
IMG_6837.jpeg
He reportedly charged $15 and you had to supply the blade. The level of detail he put into each one is amazing. The details were added after the handle was cast using files and punches. His (are) works of art

Edited for clarity edits in parentheses
SwedgeHead
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by SwedgeHead »

too bad they didnt use brass, that would have been cool, now I might have to try it. Sweet !
Great info !
ThatWeirdKnifeGuy
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ThatWeirdKnifeGuy »

eveled wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:53 pm The story is that the leather handles would rot off. Then machinists mates on Navy vessels would cast aluminum handles onto the knives. The 1918 handle was a popular knife to use as a pattern. They would make a sand mold using the original handle then pour in molten aluminum. (From Kamikazi planes).

The most famous person to do this was Eugene W. Stone, his originals are practically priceless today.

No way to know if yours is a period replacement or, a modern attempt. Without some documentation or provenance it is impossible to tell. Putting an approximate date on when he found it, may help your opinion of its authenticity.

This is not my picture not my knives, but a great representation of Mr Stones knives IMG_6837.jpeg

He reportedly charged $15 and you had to supply the blade. The level of detail he put into each one is amazing. The details were added after the handle was cast using files and punches. His were works of art

That's super cool. The story and the knives. From kamikaze planes...sort of a returning the favor sentiment.
::nod:: https://newlifeknives.etsy.com ::nod::

That's my Etsy store where I sell old knives and sometimes handmade knife accessories to support my knife habbit. Thanks for looking my friend. ::tu::
Yahoo89

Post by Yahoo89 »

Thank you all for the replies.

Yes it is a lion head.

My grandfather was actually the super of an apartment building in brooklyn so maybe it is that persons work, maybe not cause the detail looks better on those you posted.

Either way, thank you very much!!
eveled

Post by eveled »

I didn’t mean to imply Mr Stone made your handle. Keep in mind there were machine shops on every large ship and every base. Also the technology involved to make a sand mold and cast aluminum is relatively simple and it was something taught in trade schools back then.

The lack of provenance doesn’t take away from the fact it is a real WW2 blade and a neat knife. Thanks for sharing it with us.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

That's really cool! Those E.W. Stone knives fetch high prices, even the newer Ka-bar knockoffs aren't cheap.

::welcome:: to AAPK!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
wlf
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by wlf »

Thanks for showing and thanks Ed for sharing that information that I had never heard.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

eveled wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:53 pm The story is that the leather handles would rot off. Then machinists mates on Navy vessels would cast aluminum handles onto the knives. The 1918 handle was a popular knife to use as a pattern. They would make a sand mold using the original handle then pour in molten aluminum. (From Kamikazi planes).

The most famous person to (cast handles on a ship) was Eugene W. Stone, his originals are practically priceless today.

This is not my picture not my knives, but a great representation of Mr Stones knives IMG_6837.jpeg

He reportedly charged $15 and you had to supply the blade. The level of detail he put into each one is amazing. The details were added after the handle was cast using files and punches. His (are) works of art

Edited for clarity edits in parentheses
"Works of art" is clearly subjective, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. A terrible thing to do to a good knife in my opinion.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
eveled

Post by eveled »

I was referring to the quality of the details Mr. Stone added after casting. As opposed to leaving them as cast. He was definitely an artist. In my opinion.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The new Ka-bars are selling for an even $1,000.
Attachments
1000027565.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”