Sharpening with a stone

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Monzi

Sharpening with a stone

Post by Monzi »

I recently acquired a Benchmade Osborne Barrage. Until now, I used a pull through sharpener on my other EDC s. I never thought they got as sharp as they could be using it. But I would really like to try using stones and manually sharpen my nicer EDCs. Any tips on what to start with ? Tips so I don't ruin anything? Thanks fellas for anything you got for me
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Sharpening with a stone

Post by doglegg »

Monzi wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:50 pm I recently acquired a Benchmade Osborne Barrage. Until now, I used a pull through sharpener on my other EDC s. I never thought they got as sharp as they could be using it. But I would really like to try using stones and manually sharpen my nicer EDCs. Any tips on what to start with ? Tips so I don't ruin anything? Thanks fellas for anything you got for me
There are lots of videos on YouTube.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Good move to get away from pull through sharpeners. I’m not familiar with the Benchmade model you have but I suspect it might be stainless steel, and many blades made from modern “super steels” are difficult to impossible to sharpen using conventional natural or “carborundum” style stones. They need diamond stones.

There is an entire forum here about sharpening viewforum.php?f=113. Lots of info there about how to use stones. Happy reading! ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Monzi wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:50 pm I recently acquired a Benchmade Osborne Barrage. Until now, I used a pull through sharpener on my other EDC s. I never thought they got as sharp as they could be using it. But I would really like to try using stones and manually sharpen my nicer EDCs. Any tips on what to start with ? Tips so I don't ruin anything? Thanks fellas for anything you got for me
It's nice to read you are getting away from ruinous pull through sharpeners.
If you can get used to stones you will realize your knives will be the bettor for it.
There is lots of information here about using stones and other sharpening techniques (stay with stones :mrgreen: ).

Welcome here, Monzi and enjoy the ride.
Joe
Monzi

Post by Monzi »

Thanks for the info, Joe. It is much appreciated.: I'm gonna get to reading today and get what I need to get started. ::tu::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Monzi wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:09 pm Thanks for the info, Joe. It is much appreciated.: I'm gonna get to reading today and get what I need to get started. ::tu::
Don't over complicate it. Just do your research and start practicing, but one thing, go slow and take your time, if you rush you will not have success. And see if you can get/buy some really cheap knives to start practicing on. And then just keep practicing. But take your time. Good luck. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:15 pm Good move to get away from pull through sharpeners. I’m not familiar with the Benchmade model you have but I suspect it might be stainless steel, and many blades made from modern “super steels” are difficult to impossible to sharpen using conventional natural or “carborundum” style stones. They need diamond stones.

There is an entire forum here about sharpening viewforum.php?f=113. Lots of info there about how to use stones. Happy reading! ::tu::

Ken
This is my favorite stone .Has one fine side , one course side.I Use Lucas extreme gun oil to keep it oiled well and working smoothly. Like Ken already mentioned some of the new stainless are hard to get sharpened.For those newer type blades I use a ceramic diamond stone .
IMG_4290.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_4289.jpeg
TripleF
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by TripleF »

I've learned to hone before I sharpen.

To restore the original edge from the factory I use a sharpening rod. USA made, England made.
And usually with 20 strokes up, then 20 strokes down I can get back to factory edge...or close enough for me.
Then I have leather rouge that I do the barber shop stroke with then just an old leather belt to finish.
Next I will try a ceramic sharpening rod.
If we need help after that then I have 2 different grits and a smooth stone for the final edge,
then back to my leather routine to finish.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Ivoryman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ivoryman »

Strop more, sharpen less. That is my maxim. The diamond blocks here changed my life, left stones behind. Easier, quicker, flat no dips. Hit the blocks maybe once a year. The strop is a 2x4 with a scrap of leather and 10 dollar green compound. Use it all the time. A few swipes now and then if I decide to carry it and it shaves again. Once you have a good edge, you can strop regularly and the edge comes back to shaving sharp with barely any metal removed. Hope it helps.
Attachments
20240602_185250.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

Forget the stones. Use these instead.
EZE-LAP.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”