Fixed blade knife stamped M P and chicken's foot

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
john_m_holt

Fixed blade knife stamped M P and chicken's foot

Post by john_m_holt »

17166668075257569585966057414885.jpg
17166667611835305365165881559492.jpg
Good afternoon!

Can someone help me with an identification on this maker?

Thank you!
John
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: Fixed blade knife stamped M P and chicken's foot

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

john_m_holt wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:55 pm Good.....
I found the following on a site called KNIFE DOGS (KnifeDogs.com)
There were pictures also.

"GLWJ/CK said:
I was given this knife this weekend by my wife's uncle. The only thing he thinks he knows about it is the maker's last name was Parker and he was suppose to be from Michigan. I really don't think he knows. Help me identify this knife. It looks to be forged and the make's stamp is there. The initials MDP. It has unique cutouts at the ricasso and jimping on one side only on the spine. Any info is appreciated. huh1"

"This knife was made by my father Marv Palmer from Hemlock Michigan. It was made in 1998 or 1999. My dad's knives wore stamped MP for 18 of 20 years. For 2 years 1998 and 1999, my dad stamped the blades with that mark that is on your blade. Reason being he was making the blades and shipping them down to my shop in Jackson Michigan where I would finish the knives. In July of 1999, my dad retired from knifemaking and I tookover the business. The stamp changed after that to DMP which stands for David Mark Palmer. I still make the trade knives, which are sold to dealers. The model you have my dad called a "Mackinaw" because the Museum in Mackinaw had him create the knife for display at the museum.The blade is not forged. The finish is created in heat treating with coal and anthracite. As far as makers of this style of knife, my dad showed 2 others how this was done. One of the makers is out west, the other was in Florida. And in reply to NJSTRICKER, the knives are not acid dipped. gun blue is applied after heat treating and buffed off with emery cloth. This help bring out the patterns that were created by the heat treat process. The knives are not "stamped out" , but cut out of annealed 1095 with my bandsaw.

Dave"
Attachments
I Found This On Google. I Do NOT Know If It Is The Subject Of Or Related To The Above Text.
I Found This On Google. I Do NOT Know If It Is The Subject Of Or Related To The Above Text.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”