Can't seem to be able to identify this knife..?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
BOOZLE110

Can't seem to be able to identify this knife..?

Post by BOOZLE110 »

Hey Folks.

This is my first time posting, so please forgive me for any formatting errors or any broken rules.

I recently broke my Buck 110 and went searching for a replacement in the meantime while the blade is replaced. I came across this blade and I've fallen in love with it, but there's just one problem. I found it at an Antique Store and the tag was illegible. Came in a handmade leather sheathe

I can't find any information on it, and the only person that's tried to identify it has just said it's a "Gas Station Buck", but I would argue that this is of nicer quality and better construction than any Buck I've ever had.

The edge is wicked sharp, and the scales are very nice feeling. I haven't had bone or stag, so I can't quite identify, but whatever it is, feels nice. The (lockback) action is extremely strong and firm with no play.

There is a "Rostfrei" marking, but as far as I know that just indicates that it's a stainless steel.

Would love to hear from somebody with greater knowledge than my own. Thanks for your time.
Attachments
8A52E229-893E-486B-B93B-CEEFB9992D25.jpeg
0C77C53E-BAD1-4A0E-A5AC-4AE0386BAFFA.jpeg
AA34D534-6224-4029-B3BF-FC534228C383.jpeg
BA3F3039-BCEC-4272-8A4D-0C4F23A3ACB4.jpeg
image.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Can't seem to be able to identify this knife..?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK. It is indeed a nice looking knife, and a shame the maker wasn’t proud enough of it to stamp their name on it. All I can tell you is that Rostfrei is German, and means stainless steel. It’s a fairly common stamp on knives of European origin whether German-made or not. When a maker marks a knife as being stainless, rostfrei, surgical steel, and so on but doesn’t specify the exact type of steel (440A, etc) that usually indicates a relatively cheap grade of stainless steel. That doesn’t mean it won’t make a suitable EDC. Just be aware of what you’re getting.

Someone who recognizes the knife’s maker may be along and enlighten us, so be patient and check back here for a few days, or until then. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

That looks like a Japanese made knife to me. I’ve had similar. There have been some recent warehouse finds making their way into the market. Many were from Japanese masters or their team of knife builders. Some of these have no markings as well. Check out ePrague on Ebay to see many of these warehouse finds. You might find one just like it there. Hope this helps.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
BOOZLE110

Post by BOOZLE110 »

Not quite sure if I'm responding correctly, but thank you both for your input. I'm believing more and more that this may just be a one-off, or custom knife. No marking, handmade leather sheathe, etc.

It is indeed quite a nice finish, although I still don't know if it's bone or stag..

I will say that this knife feels much, much better than my Buck 110. Nicer than my Camillus KaBar, and nicer than my Edgemark 488.

I guess I'll have to see how well the metal holds up and if it takes a good edge or not. I'm still new to the knife thing, but I'm a leatherworker so they kinda go hand in hand.

Thanks!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BOOZLE110 wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 6:55 pm Not quite sure if I'm responding correctly, but thank you both for your input. I'm believing more and more that this may just be a one-off, or custom knife. No marking, handmade leather sheathe, etc.

It is indeed quite a nice finish, although I still don't know if it's bone or stag..

I will say that this knife feels much, much better than my Buck 110. Nicer than my Camillus KaBar, and nicer than my Edgemark 488.

I guess I'll have to see how well the metal holds up and if it takes a good edge or not. I'm still new to the knife thing, but I'm a leatherworker so they kinda go hand in hand.

Thanks!

That’s stag and it looks like some that I have seen on Japanese knives made in the 1980’s. They used a lot of fat stag and hafted the heck out of the bark on many of those. That’s what made me think it was Japanese in the first place. It’s a nice knife and should give you a lot of good use. Enjoy.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I don't know who made it either but it breathes quality and if it is Japanese steel, it is possibly very good.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I agree, that is definitely antler handles, probably Sambar Stag. You can see the pith on the end shot.
I do not know the maker.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
BOOZLE110

Post by BOOZLE110 »

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the handle seems to be the greatest feeling tool handle I have ever felt. I'm a leatherworker and own dozens upon dozens of expensive knives, but nothing quite this tier...

This is my first experience with stag, but I'm in love. I like it so much that I'm considering taking off the wooden handles on my other knives and replacing them with stag. Never done it before, but it seems like the process is simple enough (riveting, sanding, shaping)

Very, very nice feeling material. Not like anything else I've ever held. No wonder people go nuts over it. Now I'll have to track down some of the stuff in it's raw form!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BOOZLE110 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:40 pm Thanks for the response.

Yes, the handle seems to be the greatest feeling tool handle I have ever felt. I'm a leatherworker and own dozens upon dozens of expensive knives, but nothing quite this tier...

This is my first experience with stag, but I'm in love. I like it so much that I'm considering taking off the wooden handles on my other knives and replacing them with stag. Never done it before, but it seems like the process is simple enough (riveting, sanding, shaping)

Very, very nice feeling material. Not like anything else I've ever held. No wonder people go nuts over it. Now I'll have to track down some of the stuff in it's raw form!
Check out Culpeppers, they have every type of handle material you can imagine.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”