Help with Identification and value of Case XX please

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Zcoobis

Help with Identification and value of Case XX please

Post by Zcoobis »

I have a 2010 Case XX pocket knife. I've had it for years just sitting in the box. It was a gift from a co worker. All 5 X' and all 5 dots are on tang indicating it is 2010 I think im right but not sure and 6383 WH SS on tang. No matter where I go though, even emailed CASE and no reply for weeks, I can't get specifics or a value on it. There are other 6383 WH SS online but none with this design or inlay. The 6 narrows the handle material down to 3 possible materials, 3-meaning 3 blades, and 83 for design number or which factory made this one specifically. Any help here would be great. Just want to know if there are any other specifics about it, a possible value or price, a for sure Name or model of knife, anything at all? Thank you for your time and help!
Attachments
IMG_20240513_123631.jpg
IMG_20240513_123611.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with Identification and value of Case XX please

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Per knifedb.com
Split backspring whittler has palmette laser design on natural smooth bone handles and a single oval long tailed C "Case _ xx" script shield. Palmette design is also on both bolsters. Shown in the 2010 Fall Promotional Products catalog and described as new for this year.
Your best source for current value is ebay, sold listings only. Probably wont find the exact same knife but any Case 6383 from about that same time, with bone handles and scrolled bolsters, will be about the same value. Many make the mistake of thinking they have to find the exact same knife but the truth is for the past 30+ years Case has made so many different variations of so few patterns, that there is typically little difference in value between them, within the same pattern and approximate age.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Zcoobis wrote: [...] 6383 WH SS on tang [...] The 6 narrows the handle material down to 3 possible materials, 3-meaning 3 blades, and 83 for design number or which factory made this one specifically. [... I want to know] Name or model of knife, [...]
6 = bone on this and most knives
3 = number of blades
83 We usually call the pattern number. It is actually the number for the set of dies used to stamp out the handle parts. It's useful for communicating with Case's repair shop because with it repairmen know which parts might be needed and check if they're on hand.
WH = whittler
SS = stainless steel blades and springs.

These are often called medium swell center or ballon whittlers. They were introduced before 1915. I doubt Case has used the same name for them consistently for over a century. Mumbleypeg would know better than I.

6383 Whittlers are very common. Averaging the sale prices for bone handle 6383s made after 1980 or 1990 sold on ebay will give you a pretty good estimate of value. If you want to dream this one's bone decoration give it a special value you can offer it at a higher price and see if it sells.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

I had a couple Case knives with the same laser etched bone handle covers. If memory serves, they called it "Palmetto"
Attachments
Palmetto Bone.jpg
Palmetto Bone.jpg (14.48 KiB) Viewed 208 times
~Q~
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

It is called Palmetto Q. I had a cheetah with that on it years ago that I purchased new. If memory serves me, these were done in very limited numbers, not sure of the exact number but I’m thinking 500. These bring a bit more in value than other Case knives with more common handle materials. Not sure what that would be at this point. I know that when I sold the one that I had I got back the full retail and about 20% more. Not a huge amount but for a modern made Case, that’s good because many modern ones that are more common won’t bring the full retail amount and you would have to sell them for a discount. Hope this helps.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Zcoobis

Post by Zcoobis »

Thank you all for everything you have taken the time to reply here. I appreciate it and can't wait to see what I can find next. Have a great day and again thank you all!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”