Storage solution for Dad's Knives

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
TrickyRick

Storage solution for Dad's Knives

Post by TrickyRick »

Having been selected as custodian of dad's knives felt it would be good to find a better storage than in the cardboard boxes he was using. It's one of the tool cases I used as a field service rep years ago, tossed in a couple desiccant packs, so probably should be OK in there until I can get around to doing an inventory and assessment. The area under the bottom pallet holds some of his fixed blade knives. I'm not a collector of knives so will be interesting to go through them and see what history they might reveal.
TrickyRick

Re: Storage solution for Dad's Knives

Post by TrickyRick »

Forgot to add picture, hopefully it will attach
Attachments
P1010427.JPG
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

Looks like you have a bit of researching to do, fair number of knives you have there. The guys on here are pretty darn helpful.
TrickyRick

Post by TrickyRick »

Yes, most of them I don't know about, few of course were gifts from me. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to remember much about the oldest ones. Will be fun trying to jog his memory when I catch him on one of his better days. I convinced him about 5 years ago to move from Tulsa to Grove to a retirement village, so he is just a few miles from me now. I'm guessing a few will need repair and a good cleaning, bet I can find some good tips and tricks from this forum on that.
enuf
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by enuf »

My dad has been gone a long time. Visit with him and record when you have a particular conversation about something you're wondering about, you'll appreciate it - I did not, my father's passing was quick and generally unexpected. I am from the Tulsa area also - welcome neighbor.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

The toolkit is a great idea for knife storage.
I have been a technician for 34 years, and I have a couple of old toolkits lying around. I never thought to use them for knife storage!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just be sure those elastic bands don’t emit anything (outgassing). I’ve had bad experiences with elastic bands in knife rolls damaging nickel silver bolsters and shields - metals not present in most tools.

How can you tell? I don’t know except after the fact when it’s too late. The damage appears similar to celluloid outgassing, but there were no celluloids in the roll. The knives were not celluloid, and were damaged beyond recovery - the resulting pitting is still present even though I cleaned them up. Too deep for light buffing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
eveled

Post by eveled »

I like that re purposed tool kit.

I just recently founf my Dad’s tool kit and his Simpson 260 VOM.
IMG_5841.jpeg
TrickyRick

Post by TrickyRick »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 am Just be sure those elastic bands don’t emit anything (outgassing). I’ve had bad experiences with elastic bands in knife rolls damaging nickel silver bolsters and shields - metals not present in most tools.

How can you tell? I don’t know except after the fact when it’s too late. The damage appears similar to celluloid outgassing, but there were no celluloids in the roll. The knives were not celluloid, and were damaged beyond recovery - the resulting pitting is still present even though I cleaned them up. Too deep for light buffing.

Ken
TrickyRick

Post by TrickyRick »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:05 am Just be sure those elastic bands don’t emit anything (outgassing). I’ve had bad experiences with elastic bands in knife rolls damaging nickel silver bolsters and shields - metals not present in most tools.

Ken
Thanks for the info about outgassing, after reading some about celluloid outgassing I decided to take the pallets out of the tool case and hang them on the wall in my closet. Hopefully that will avoid the problem.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

::tu:: they might have been okay, but better safe than sorry.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”