Would like to find information on these 2 knives please

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Chief-wahoo

Would like to find information on these 2 knives please

Post by Chief-wahoo »

I found these two knives along with the ideal this past weekend. I walked past them at first. And then the tank stamp, caught my eye, went back and purchased These two. Also any help would be appreciated as to when they were made. How many were made also, wondering if they re-created the marble stamping or if these are actually old blades I didn’t get a box so I have no idea what these are. Thank you.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Would like to find information on these 2 knives please

Post by TripleF »

Not an expert, but my first reaction is: they are real Marbles that have been rehandled.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

They are not rehandled knives. They are two versions of Marbles economy knives called OUTDOOR. Marbles made the two different wood handle knives. A shame they have been so heavily cleaned and polished. They were made in the 1930s and nobody knows how many of any model Marbles made back in the day. People weren't collecting modern knives in the 30s and most companies either didn't keep production numbers or they were all disposed of with time. Nobody knows how many Case, KA-BAR, or any other company made back in the day.
Chief-wahoo

Post by Chief-wahoo »

I was curious I found a set online just like these I believe they were called model 58? But could find no history on them
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Marbles had model names and numbers for their knives. Yours may be the model number you found, I don't have model number info. The model name was Outdoor. Most folks use the model names to describe Marbles knives rather than model number.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Great info Gene!
Here's an image of an old ad and some specs from the book "Marbles Knives & Axes" ;

1000001200.jpg

The OP's knives appear to be from the re-introduction of the pattern during the late 1990's early 2000's era. The tang stamp was different from the originals and the handles were not walnut as the originals were but rather a redish grainy wood that looks almost like camelthorn.
Marbles model 58.jpg
Marbles model 58.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 243 times
Marbles model 58 2.jpg
Marbles model 58 2.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 243 times

Eric
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What Eric said. ⬆️

Nice duo. ::nod::👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”