Western states shield ?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
Thomasg

Western states shield ?

Post by Thomasg »

was this shield used on western states knife?
    Attachments
    IMG_2173.png
    zzyzzogeton

Re: Western states shield ?

Post by zzyzzogeton »

All I can say is that that shield does NOT appear on any knife in the 1919, 1921, 1925, 1931, 1936, 1941, 1945 or 1950 catalogs. I just checked all of them as I did not remember ever seeing that shield before.

The 1950 catalog would have been the last possible catalog in which it might appear as the stamp was dropped in 1952/1953 when the company name changed from Western States Cutlery to simply Western Cutlery.

It is possible that it was used on knives made by cutlers other than Western States between 1913 and 1918 when ALL knives sold by Western States were made by cutlers back east. But that would be stretching credulity a bit.
    btrwtr
    Gold Tier
    Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Knife is a complete fake.
    If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
    Thomasg

Post by Thomasg »

Thank guys for your reply .The knife was listed on e-bay .I could not find the shield in the knife makers who went west or Sargents short section on western states in his 3rd edition .that’s the only two tools that I have for research other than the helpful information gained by you all taking the time to help a fellow knife enthusiast! When I first started collecting knifes I never gave much thought about someone stooping low enough to fake or cobble to gather one for such a low profit yield .Now days after being skinned alive a few times I’m some what cautious about my new accusations.
    knifeaholic
    Gold Tier
    Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

I agree with Wayne. It is one of the many fakes in that pattern that were made out of old Utica parts.
    Mumbleypeg
    Gold Tier
    Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thomasg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:49 pm When I first started collecting knifes I never gave much thought about someone stooping low enough to fake or cobble to gather one for such a low profit yield .Now days after being skinned alive a few times I’m some what cautious about my new accusations.
    Many of us have had that same experience. It’s the reason we become “knife educated”. I only wish a place like AAPK had existed 50 years ago!

Ken
    Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”