Tarry Levigne Lizard knife - French

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
woodwalker

Tarry Levigne Lizard knife - French

Post by woodwalker »

My brother in law just give me this knife. I dont know much about the maker. AAPK has little on it. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks like it might be Ebony. Thanks in advance. :)
Attachments
20230311_221600.jpg
20230311_221629.jpg
20230311_221659.jpg
20230311_221717.jpg
20230311_221726.jpg
Dan In MI

Re: Tarry Levigne Lizard knife - French

Post by Dan In MI »

My first thought was that it reminds me a little of my Cold Steel Kudu. The Kudu has a spring of similar design, and a ring is passed through the hole. It's a surprisingly strong mechanism. Unfortunately, I can't be of any help beyond that. But your brother-in-law did give you a very unusual and cool knife! ::tu::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Levine's Guide says."Tarry-Levigne, Pierre, Thiers, France. Manufacturer, 1864-19??". That's all. I've seen them before and heard them called strap or back-strap springs. It's a nice one, wood looks like ebony. Ferd.Everts (Okapi) of Germany made a modern version of that style. I have one but I'll have to dig it out. Good luck. J.O'..
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:38 pm Levine's Guide says."Tarry-Levigne, Pierre, Thiers, France. Manufacturer, 1864-19??". That's all. I've seen them before and heard them called strap or back-strap springs. It's a nice one, wood looks like ebony. Ferd.Everts (Okapi) of Germany made a modern version of that style. I have one but I'll have to dig it out. Good luck. J.O'..
Thank you sir for all the info. I thought it might be Ebony as well. It's a unique knife to me. I would love to see your Okapi. Thanks again! :) ::handshake::
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:54 pm My first thought was that it reminds me a little of my Cold Steel Kudu. The Kudu has a spring of similar design, and a ring is passed through the hole. It's a surprisingly strong mechanism. Unfortunately, I can't be of any help beyond that. But your brother-in-law did give you a very unusual and cool knife! ::tu::
Thanks Dan! I seen other ones when I googled it with the ring. I'm glad to be its care taker for a while. ::handshake:: :)
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

WW: Here's the Okapi. Okapi is a "forest giraffe","Congolese giraffe", or "Zebra giraffe". It's the only other member of the family,"Giraffidae".
Anyway the knife is made of a nice single piece of wood, but the metal is very low grade. Looks like an inexpensive souvenir. Your knife is far better. The butt end of yours looks like a budding blade. ? J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_5320.jpg
IMG_5319.jpg
IMG_5318.jpg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I like yours. Thank you for showing it. Here are a few pics of the end. ::handshake:: :)
Attachments
20230312_162021.jpg
20230312_162028.jpg
20230312_162034.jpg
20230312_162039.jpg
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

From the original pics I thought it was much thinner. That's no budding tool, my mistake, It's a great looking piece, ::tu:: J.O'.
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thank you sir!! Appreciate you!! :) ::handshake::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:38 pm I've seen them before and heard them called strap or back-strap springs.
I think I've heard that term before, too. Thanks for jogging my memory!
woodwalker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:55 pm Thanks Dan! I seen other ones when I googled it with the ring. I'm glad to be its care taker for a while. ::handshake:: :)
You are very welcome. Enjoy your time as its care taker! ::handshake::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

woodwalker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:22 am My brother in law just give me this knife. I dont know much about the maker. AAPK has little on it. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks like it might be Ebony. Thanks in advance. :)
Nice, old French spring back knife...these knives developed together with knives from early Spain and later Italy...some even had a ring attached to lift locking spring!! The rural areas in France had plenty of these before the famous Laguiole came around....nice example of early French cutlery!!

PS: after a second look....your knife is a ring lock!!! There is the latch with the hole for the missing ring on the end of the Spring!!! Cool!!
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Alien883 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:11 pm
woodwalker wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:22 am My brother in law just give me this knife. I dont know much about the maker. AAPK has little on it. Does anyone know anything about it? It looks like it might be Ebony. Thanks in advance. :)
Nice, old French spring back knife...these knives developed together with knives from early Spain and later Italy...some even had a ring attached to lift locking spring!! The rural areas in France had plenty of these before the famous Laguiole came around....nice example of early French cutlery!!

PS: after a second look....your knife is a ring lock!!! There is the latch with the hole for the missing ring on the end of the Spring!!! Cool!!
Allen, thank you so much for the information. I appreciate learning about this old knife my brother in law gifted me. I did google search on Tarry Levigne cutlery and got 1864 - ??. One said 1864 to 1934. I really like the knife. The ring on the knife is not old or original. I could not figure out how to close it when I first got it. I did read a blog on french knives and seen where it was called a Palm knife because the back spring is shaped like a palm leaf. I read where they were produced for the war effort during ww one (46,000) to provide as a fighting knife but were discontinued because of it's simple design would not stand up. If you have any more info on these knives I would be happy to learn. I appreciate very much you sharing your knowledge with me. ::handshake:: :) I put this ring on it to help me open it.
Attachments
20230330_113845.jpg
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

I also found this picture of a similar knife as mine. :)
Attachments
1679013161990_146934966276325.jpg
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

woodwalker wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 pm
Alien883 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:11 pm

Allen, thank you so much for the information. I appreciate learning about this old knife my brother in law gifted me. I did google search on Tarry Levigne cutlery and got 1864 - ??. One said 1864 to 1934. I really like the knife. The ring on the knife is not old or original. I could not figure out how to close it when I first got it. I did read a blog on french knives and seen where it was called a Palm knife because the back spring is shaped like a palm leaf. I read where they were produced for the war effort during ww one (46,000) to provide as a fighting knife but were discontinued because of it's simple design would not stand up. If you have any more info on these knives I would be happy to learn. I appreciate very much you sharing your knowledge with me. ::handshake:: :) I put this ring on it to help me open it.
Lol...you did the right thing...there was a ring supposed to be there...you just fixed it!!!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”