CAMCO Barlow Info Request

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
GIJohnny1994

CAMCO Barlow Info Request

Post by GIJohnny1994 »

New guy here looking for info on this old CAMCO Barlow that was my grandpa's EDC on the farm. He passed in January of 2004, so I know the knife is at least early 2000s. I haven't touched it since it was given to me except for showing to my boys. Otherwise, it's been stored for safe keeping and sentimental reasons. Can anyone provide me with info on an approximate age of the knife and what type of blade it is? It's not numbered in anywhere that I can see. I've been toying with the idea of cleaning it up and using it as my EDC. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
20230122_071957.jpg
20230122_072012.jpg
20230122_072025.jpg
313 Mike

Re: CAMCO Barlow Info Request

Post by 313 Mike »

Here is a link to a catalog for Camco knives that has the barlow in it, The catalog is from 1951, not saying that is when your knife is from, but at least it gives you an idea of when it was first produced. From what I have read it's tough to date a Camco by the stamp. Cool knife though, you are fortunate to have it!

Camco - Collectors of Camillus http://www.collectors-of-camillus.us/Ca ... talogs.pdf
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

That's a nice old knife, in nice shape and the sheepsfoot blade is, for some folks, more desirable. They are hard to date because the stamp didn't change much. CAMCO was made by Camillus from 1948-on. They weren't high-priced but they were good working knives. Just a guess but maybe the 50's - 70's. If you want to keep it like your Gramps left it, just a light cleaning with oil will preserve its patina. No abrasives. That would destroy its heritage. Good luck. ::tu:: J.O'.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

For a knife that he carried daily, it is in great shape! A lot of older EDC knives were worn out by daily use, but your Grandfather seems to have taken great care of it. If it were mine I would oil the joints, and lightly rub the blades with oil. Then whether you carry it or put it away, it will remain in good shape. I hope that you can pas it down to one of your children someday.
Thank you for sharing it with us!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

From here it appears to have Delrin covers. If so, it can't be older than about 1961-1962.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice old Barlow Johnny! ::tu:: I can't provide any answers to your questions, but more knowledgeable members will see it eventually and perhaps supply some information for you. BTW, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
GIJohnny1994

Post by GIJohnny1994 »

Thank you, everyone! I really appreciate the info. I've kept this thing tucked away and now that my youngest boy (8 yrs old) has expressed interest in pocket knives, I wanted to share my grandpa's knife and story with him. Thanks, again!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”