Help with this knife please

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Doneal99

Help with this knife please

Post by Doneal99 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:26 pm

I am having a difficult time trying to ID and determine a value on this knife. It is a small pearl handle single blade knife. Tang on one side is just the 2 Frank Buster Fight'n Roosters. Tang in opposite side just says Soligen Germany. There is some small scroll work on one side of the bolsters. There are no other marks on the knife at all.
Hopefully you can see this in the attached photos.
I can't find any information about it online. I am wondering if it is possibly a very early Frank Buster/Fight'n Rooster knife.
Attachments
20220622_224332.jpg
20220622_223302.jpg

Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with this knife please

Post by Old Folder » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:25 pm

Hello Doneal99, welcome to AAPK.

The below AAPK page will give you the Production Stamps that Fight'n Rooster knives have used over the years. I posted this on aapk on April 10,2018.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... 30&t=56645

You do have an early Frank Buster Fight'n Rooster knife Doneal.

Your knife was produced from 1977 to 1982 when there there was no wording above the Roosters. However, you should have the word "SOLINGEN" stamped on the blade below the picture of the Fight'n Rooster's?
I believe the bolster on your picture hides the word "SOLINGEN" in its 'Half Stop Opening?

Being that your knife is approximately 2 and 1/2" inches closed, it would be designated as a 'Miniature' knife.
Miniature knives are a very important collectible and have the same workmanship as knives two and three times the size.

The below picture was produced in 1994. It shows your identicle knife (Including the bolster scrolling) in a group of four knives produced in 1980 and was sold as a set of four. Only 300 sets were produced, so....you can easily say that your knife is rare.

img399.jpg

Being that your knife has a Pearl handle (That appears to be in excellent condition) adds to its value. The price in the picture valued the set of four knives to be $220.00, that was the 'set' value in 1994.
Your knife can be 'cleaned up' to look new. I see no excessive damage or blade wear. The original owner took care of your knife, perhaps a 'Show and Tell Knife' rather than a every day user. Pearl handled knives are very fragile, for one to have survived for 42 years is quite an accomplishment. :D

I believe the only way to have been able to acquire your knife originally was to purchase it within a set of four knives, same pattern just with different handle materials. I do not know what the knife pattern would be called, perhaps another AAPK member will chime in for that?

As far as value? Auction sites (ebay) may bring $50.00 - $80.00? That's just my opinion Doneal, it may be worth more to knife miniature and or Pearl handled knife collector's, however, if your knife came from a family member or friend, I would just keep it for memories sake.
Nice knife. ::tu::

Dan (Old Folder)
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”