Who is the manufacturer?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Vmiller

Who is the manufacturer?

Post by Vmiller » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:57 pm

One of the knives in my Dad's estate has "Barlow" stamped on it. I've been trying to identify the manufacturer, but I haven't had much success. I've found similar knives produced by Parker, German Bull, Shrade ... I'm sure there are more. I have been unable to find who made one with this handle. Can anyone help?
Attachments
Barlow folding knife
Barlow folding knife

Papa Bones
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Who is the manufacturer?

Post by Papa Bones » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:16 pm

Vmiller wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:57 pm
One of the knives in my Dad's estate has "Barlow" stamped on it. I've been trying to identify the manufacturer, but I haven't had much success. I've found similar knives produced by Parker, German Bull, Shrade ... I'm sure there are more. I have been unable to find who made one with this handle. Can anyone help?
Hello Vmiller and welcome to AAPK. Hard for me to tell from the photo, but is the front pin for the blades made of brass?? Just from what I can tell from the photo, the master clip blade has been sanitize, in other words the original tang stamp has been ground off. The master clip blade seems to have been reshaped to fit the frame, the top edge has been ground almost to the edge of the nail nic and the kick has been reground. This is possibly a knife that was in bad shape, maybe with a broken blade, and someone replaced the blades and handles to make a serviceable knife with bone handles.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Reverand
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Reverand » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:07 am

While some Japanese knives used the "Barlow" brand name several years ago, traditionally it is the name of that style knife, not the maker. Dozens of companies have made (or are making) Barlow knives.
Unfortunately, yours looks like a cheap import.
I have seen several Barlow knives similar to yours that were made in Pakistan. I base this on it having no name, the brass pivot pin, the rough blade shape and grinds, the strange nail nick, and the toasted bone. Most of them that I have seen had large "gouged" jigging patterns on the bone, while yours is smooth, but otherwise it looks almost the same.
These sell new at flea markets for $10 or so.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

#goldpan
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by #goldpan » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:36 am

Reverand is right. I’ve had a bunch I bought many years ago and they came from Pakistan. The brass pivot pin and torched bone handles are typical for knives made in Pakistan.

Vmiller

Post by Vmiller » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 am

Well, all of that is very interesting information. I do appreciate the education as I know literally nothing about knives. Thank you :)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”