2 New Ebay Pet Peeves

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
just bob

2 New Ebay Pet Peeves

Post by just bob »

I have many pet peeves about Ebay, but 2 new ones that maybe others are encountering. The first is almost as soon as the auction ends the seller posts a tracking number and eBay sends you an email saying your item has been shipped. This is the case sometimes, but many times lately this tracking number is bogus, and the seller must copy and paste it from other transactions. The actual item may not ship for 3-5 days after the tracking number has been posted. The seller goes back in and changes the original number to the actual number that is being used. Pretty sure they're not fooling anyone and Ebay has the metrics in place to detect actual shipping of an item. Just a new annoyance.
Then you buy an eBay item, and you notice the seller has very low feedback numbers and looks to be new. You think you are doing the right thing by helping a small, local, startup business. When the item arrives you see you have been duped and the seller is actually a drop shipper for Amazon and all that you have done is to feed the mega monster more $, which it is already foundering on. Shouldn't there be a way to know exactly who you are buying an item from?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Steve Warden

Re: 2 New Ebay Pet Peeves

Post by Steve Warden »

Makes me wonder why folks bother with ebay at all. :|
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Steve Warden wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 pm Makes me wonder why folks bother with ebay at all. :|
Exactly my thoughts too.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Bob if you take that tracking number to the shipping company's website (usually USPS) and plug it in it should show a destination city. If it doesn't match your area you can let the seller know he's got the wrong tracking number and see him/her squirm. Another thing to keep in mind is that as soon as a shipping label is printed through Ebay's shipping services it shows as shipped and gives a tracking number on the site, even though it might still be sitting at the seller's home for days. Tracking has to show that the shipper is in possession of the item for it to actually be "shipped".
Good times LOL.

Eric
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

That tracking number has fooled me too. I know what
you are talking about.

Bob
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

When I get an email from eBay saying item has shipped, when I check the tracking number it usually says label created but not in system yet.
Tim
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Beavertail wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:47 pm When I get an email from eBay saying item has shipped, when I check the tracking number it usually says label created but not in system yet.
Ebay's term of shipping means the seller has dropped it off at the Post Office or however else they are shipping it. So you are correct not even in the system. I have had notifications from Ebay saying the item has been shipped, but if you check has only been dropped off at the post office with not even a tracking number which you may not get for days. ::tu::
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

In my experiences selling on ebay once I pay for the shipping label the item is marked as "shipped" even though it is still sitting right there beside me.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”