Need some help identifying a 14k gold filled pocket knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
rdrunr316

Need some help identifying a 14k gold filled pocket knife

Post by rdrunr316 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:25 pm

Hello - First time joiner. Came across a few pocket knives and need some help identifying one of them. There are no distinguished stamps or serial numbers. Just on the loop it states that it is 14k gold filled. Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!!
Attachments
2022-01-04 15.20.43.jpg
2022-01-04 15.20.52.jpg

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need some help identifying a 14k gold filled pocket knife

Post by btrwtr » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:42 pm

Just about impossible to say on little knives of this type. Maybe someone here might have an answer.

Welcome to AAPK!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:35 am

Welcome to AAPK. Your knife appears to be a gentleman’s watch fob knife, likely dates from the time when most men had pocket watches. The knife “fob” was attached to the watch by a small lightweight chain, which is the purpose of the loop (bale) on the knife. These knives often started as what is called a “skeleton” knife, consisting of finished blades, springs, and a frame but having no handle covers attached. These skeleton knives were made by several U.S. and European makers, and sold to jewelers who attached handle covers made of precious metals such as gold or silver plated brass, thinly rolled gold, etc. These were often engraved by the jeweler with designs and the initials of the person the jeweler sold them to.

If the blade is not stamped check the bale to see if it has any markings. (I know you already said it only says 14K - check inside the bale also). If no markings then it’s unlikely to determine who made it.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Reverand
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Reverand » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:56 am

::welcome:: Welcome to AAPK!
I have no additional information about your knife. I am guessing from the blades that they have been cleaned sometime in the past, and have developed new spots and patina since. That makes it likely to be old (reinforced by the fact that it is a watch fob knife).
Age does not always equal value though. These knives are readily available, and not many people collect them. Without any additional information, I would recommend that you enjoy owning it. It is a beautifully made knife!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

rdrunr316

Post by rdrunr316 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:43 pm

Thank you for the replies. There were no other markings under the bale or inside. Will just hang onto it. Thanks again!!

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:15 am

It looks like there are some markings on the top surface of the bale.
Small sleeveboard Skeleton knives are very common. Made in USA, Britain Japan and possibly Germany.
I have a bunch of them but they are of low value because hardly anyone collects them.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”