Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

Post by cody6268 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm

What is the best way to moisturize a very dried-out leather sheath?

I recently got a Leatherman from 1993, and it looks like the sheath just sat somewhere for most of that 28 years. It is hard as a rock.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fixing Dried Out Sheaths

Post by Mumbleypeg » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:29 pm

Start with saddle soap, follow the directions on the can. That should restore and re-hydrate the leather. Here’s an older thread on the same subject, recommending several leather conditioning products.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... hilit=Bick

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:10 pm

Yes. I agree with Ken on the restoration he suggested. However, if it is as hard as a rock it may not come all the way back and be 100%. After the saddle soap, I have had good luck with Mink Oil. There are many many good leather restoration products out there to try.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by cudgee » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 pm

cody6268 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm

I recently got a Leatherman from 1993, and it looks like the sheath just sat somewhere for most of that 28 years. It is hard as a rock.
My friend i can help you there, had great success with this method on really dried out leather. As Ken stated get yourself some saddle soap or leather cleaner can be sourced at a good saddlery or horse gear supplier. And some good leather conditioner, a reputable supplier will give you the right advise as to what is best for your needs. Give the leather a really good clean with the saddle soap, and old toothbrush is ideal, my take a couple of goes just make sure it dries between coats. Then just lather on the conditioner, and let soak in and dry, then keep reapplying, may take several coats. Will completely reinvigorate your sheath. This is what i use, but won't be available over there, but you will be able to source something similar. ::tu:: I have had this conditioner for over 25 years and still going strong, a little goes a long way, and is great on work boots. This stuff has been made here for over 100 years so they must be doing something right. If you need any help just ask. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:44 pm

cudgee wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 pm
cody6268 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:20 pm

My friend i can help you there, had great success with this method on really dried out leather. As Ken stated get yourself some saddle soap or leather cleaner can be sourced at a good saddlery or horse gear supplier. And some good leather conditioner, a reputable supplier will give you the right advise as to what is best for your needs. Give the leather a really good clean with the saddle soap, and old toothbrush is ideal, my take a couple of goes just make sure it dries between coats. Then just lather on the conditioner, and let soak in and dry, then keep reapplying, may take several coats. Will completely reinvigorate your sheath. This is what i use, but won't be available over there, but you will be able to source something similar. ::tu:: I have had this conditioner for over 25 years and still going strong, a little goes a long way, and is great on work boots. This stuff has been made here for over 100 years so they must be doing something right. If you need any help just ask. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::handshake::

IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg
Not sure if that is available in North America. There are a lot of very good substitutes here though.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by cody6268 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 am

Thanks guys. I will be picking up some good saddle soap and mink oil next time I'm at Tractor Supply. I had cans of each from Dollar General, and neither is any good.

I used a bit of Huberd's Shoe Oil, and the first coat seemed to make a slight difference. Problem is that was almost the last of it I had. I have never seen it locally, so I'll have to order some. It is mostly what I use on my boots after cleaning them.

cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by cudgee » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:24 am

cody6268 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:10 am
Thanks guys. I will be picking up some good saddle soap and mink oil next time I'm at Tractor Supply. I had cans of each from Dollar General, and neither is any good.

I used a bit of Huberd's Shoe Oil, and the first coat seemed to make a slight difference. Problem is that was almost the last of it I had. I have never seen it locally, so I'll have to order some. It is mostly what I use on my boots after cleaning them.
Your on the right track my friend, and what may seem expensive at the time works out really cheap over time, quality always wins. I am well into my sixties and the bottle of leather oil i posted is only the second i have ever had to purchase and there is still some left. If you need any more help or advise just ask mate. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod::

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:13 pm

I never use oil, have tried most available. Mink oil is a good shoe and boot waterproofing but it will soften leather. Softening is great for shoes and baseball mitts but a sheath should have a stiffness to the leather. This is why I prefer the wax based leather preservers and waterproofings. Sno Seal works well and there are other wax based products. If it is really dried out I warm it up on a radiator or in the oven around 120 degrees, take it out and the wax leather treatment soaks into the warm leather when rubbed in. Sometimes it takes several treatments to get the wax penetrated into the leather. Once done ii will retail it's original shape and stiffness, whereas Mink or Neatsfoot oils will make it soft.

Montanaman
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Montanaman » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:15 pm

Montana Pitch Blend makes a really good product, other than that, I use Oakwood products.

https://www.montanapitchblend.com/products

Alien883

Post by Alien883 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Mumbleypeg wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:29 pm
Start with saddle soap, follow the directions on the can. That should restore and re-hydrate the leather. Here’s an older thread on the same subject, recommending several leather conditioning products.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... hilit=Bick

Ken
Saddle soap will clean but not do anything to help dry leather...it actually will adjust the ph level of the leather...after a good cleaning ( saddle soap ) let it dry well and then use leather conditioner ( Fiebings Aussie saddle care ) or simular conditioner!! Do this in 3-4 light applications...you will see a difference!

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”