Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
Captain O

Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

Post by Captain O » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:15 am

The old "Melon Tester" knives keep popping back into my life from time to time. As of later the Schrade (Taylor) Chinese-made knives keep lending themselves to kitchen use. The 3Cr13Mov (stainless steel) always has a razor blade etched on its side. This is a steel that asked a quick edge but loses it in a short period of heavy use.

I'm thinking of buying another pair (#102 and #105, smaller and larger model knives respectively). They're usually between $10.00 and $13.00 shipped to the door. Since the steel is less than prone to corrosion, I'm considering buying them and putting them into the kitchen drawer of the farmhouse. They should be convenient for food prep and as a quick "bread knife" that can be washed in a jiffy and dropped back in a drawer with the rest of the cheap kitchen cutlery until they're needed once again.
This post is approved by Arf The Wonder Chicken. :wink:

bigshot

Re: Schrade "Melon Tester" knives.

Post by bigshot » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:03 am

I just got a 5 inch Rite Edge Spanish Fruit Knife at Amazon that was $8.71 delivered. I bought it as a novelty, but I see how it could be useful in the kitchen. Is Imperial the same as Schrade? That's $13.

Captain O

Post by Captain O » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 pm

bigshot wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:03 am
I just got a 5 inch Rite Edge Spanish Fruit Knife at Amazon that was $8.71 delivered. I bought it as a novelty, but I see how it could be useful in the kitchen. Is Imperial the same as Schrade? That's $13.
It may be. Schrade is made in China for Taylor (Schrade) Cutlery. The Rite Edge appears to be a lot thinner and more flexible. The Schrade "Melon Tester" is an excellent folding kitchen knife. Many supermarket produce managers use these on a daily basis.

bigshot

Post by bigshot » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:10 am

I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the Chinese made knives all come from the same factory.

Captain O

Post by Captain O » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:22 am

bigshot wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:10 am
I'm getting the feeling that a lot of the Chinese-made knives all come from the same factory.
Probably. The 3Cr13Mov Schrade SS102 and the larger SS105 come with Imperial printed on the boxes. They may be relatively inexpensive, but the knives are decent, utilitarian pieces of folding cutlery made expressly for food preparation. (Dried meats, fruit, green produce, etc.). Don't sell them short. They have a purpose. ::nod:: This pattern has been around for over 100 years.

Return to “In The Kitchen”