Another LB7 Customized

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Post Reply
User avatar
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 am
Location: Roseville, Mi
Contact:

Another LB7 Customized

Post by Jeffinn » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 pm

I had purchased a few new Uncle Henry LB7 blades awhile ago in the hopes of fitting them into a few of the knives that I have. However, there are some differences in the blades and lock bars of these knives. Most notably the square notch that the lock bar tab engages to lock the blade into place comes in a couple of different sizes. Swapping out the lock bar for a suitable candidate is one option. However, the pivot hole location can vary from knife to knife. Anyway, I found 5 pre-production lock bars in one of my parts bins that allowed me to put a few knives together.
This one has a new high polished blade, some brown burlap micarta handles, some simple bolster threading and a little bit of coining along the rear edge of the liners.
It's a pretty knife but seems a bit lazy on closing of the blade (possibly a spring issue where it contacts the lock bar) so it'll sit on my shelf.
2021098_1.JPG
2021098_2.JPG
2021098_3.JPG
2021098_4.JPG
2021098_5.JPG
2021098_6.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jeffinn

User avatar
Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5657
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Steve Warden » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:16 pm

Niiiiiiiice!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

User avatar
Meridian_Mike
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4313
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Arm pit of America

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Meridian_Mike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:42 pm

MAN.... That is a nice mod!!

I show the one I got from you to my friends all the time!

Great work Jeff!!

::tu::
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”
Mother Teresa

User avatar
Nev52
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Nev52 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Beautiful Knife. ::tu:: ::tu::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 12889
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm
Location: West Kootenays, B.C.

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 am

It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
It is common for lockbacks to have almost no snap when closing. They do not need strong spring tension to hold the blade open. I think they are purposely designed to have a light closing snap as this is all that is needed and it is safer for the fingers.
kj

User avatar
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 am
Location: Roseville, Mi
Contact:

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Jeffinn » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:55 am

kootenay joe wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 am
It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
It is common for lockbacks to have almost no snap when closing. They do not need strong spring tension to hold the blade open. I think they are purposely designed to have a light closing snap as this is all that is needed and it is safer for the fingers.
kj
Thanks KJ, maybe its okay then. I've got a couple more to finish and I'll compare the closing snap between them all when they're completed.
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jeffinn

WillyCamaro
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5244
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 am
Location: MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by WillyCamaro » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:06 am

kootenay joe wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:46 am
It is a beautiful LB7. Nicest one i have ever seen.
It is common for lockbacks to have almost no snap when closing. They do not need strong spring tension to hold the blade open. I think they are purposely designed to have a light closing snap as this is all that is needed and it is safer for the fingers.
kj
I think you nailed it Roland! Every LB-style knife I've handled, has had light snap. I think becuase so many mechanics/electricians use them, they make them with lighter springs.
I know for a fact, when the hands are greasy, you don't want a blade slamming back on them... :mrgreen:
Just enough tension, that my finger can stop it at the kick. It's a handy technique to learn, espeically when you don't have a thumb-stud.
::tu::
8)
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it"
"If your going through Hell, keep going!"
- Winston Churchill

WillyCamaro
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5244
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:03 am
Location: MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by WillyCamaro » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:14 am

Jeffinn wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:12 pm
I had purchased a few new Uncle Henry LB7 blades awhile ago in the hopes of fitting them into a few of the knives that I have. However, there are some differences in the blades and lock bars of these knives. Most notably the square notch that the lock bar tab engages to lock the blade into place comes in a couple of different sizes. Swapping out the lock bar for a suitable candidate is one option. However, the pivot hole location can vary from knife to knife. Anyway, I found 5 pre-production lock bars in one of my parts bins that allowed me to put a few knives together.
This one has a new high polished blade, some brown burlap micarta handles, some simple bolster threading and a little bit of coining along the rear edge of the liners.
It's a pretty knife but seems a bit lazy on closing of the blade (possibly a spring issue where it contacts the lock bar) so it'll sit on my shelf.
2021098_1.JPG
2021098_2.JPG
2021098_3.JPG
2021098_4.JPG
2021098_5.JPG
2021098_6.JPG
Thanks for looking!
Jeff
Another beauty Jeff! You've become a real expert working on these mate, fantastic eye for detail!

I've been putting mine to pocket use this past year, so many good things to say about it!
Smooth white bone, and raised pins make for one nice edc. Just have to adjust the kick a tiny bit, tip is protruding slightly. Another then that tiny issue, I'm a super happy cookie!

I'll be getting my buddy to snag me another one, coming up here; this time one of your deluxe models.

::tu::
8)
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it"
"If your going through Hell, keep going!"
- Winston Churchill

User avatar
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5220
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:21 pm
Location: ♥Sweet Home Alabama♥

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by royal0014 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am

Knice work, Jeff !!
::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

User avatar
texoma
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:18 pm
Location: Texoma

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by texoma » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:16 am

that LB7 looks great, excellent work ::tu::

User avatar
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6205
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 11:13 am
Location: NH

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by glennbad » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:48 am

I really like the threading. Also, did these normally have the NS pins? I'm used to the Buck 110's that were all brass. Regardless, I like it!

User avatar
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1472
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:16 am
Location: Roseville, Mi
Contact:

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by Jeffinn » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:38 pm

glennbad wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:48 am
I really like the threading. Also, did these normally have the NS pins? I'm used to the Buck 110's that were all brass. Regardless, I like it!
It originally had brass pins but I decided to use nickel silver throughout on this one for a little different look.
Thanks.
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jeffinn

User avatar
RevolverGuy
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 6:04 am
Location: North Carolina
Contact:

Re: Another LB7 Customized

Post by RevolverGuy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:52 pm

Very nice. Love seeing stuff like this.

Post Reply

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”