$15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Post Reply
Maddogfl
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

$15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Maddogfl » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Fairbairn Sykes, step aside....I "discovered" these knives working in construction. They are certainly noting you would want to brag about, but I am shameless and will do it anyway.

A "tactical" knife, inferring a weapon more than a tool, is something no one is going to use daily for the purpose intended. If you had to use one more than once in a lifetime, you are hanging out in the wrong places. For a fixed blade "tactical knife" , you need something capable of penetrating and slashing. These "duct" knives would fulfill that job well, although with not much "style." This Klenk duct knife with a little skateboard tape added to the rosewood handle could do the job of a $500.00 knife. If I carried this knife as a weapon I would certainly not feel under-armed. I would really hate to have that serrated edge wiggling around in my innards...;)

User avatar
tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5994
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by tongueriver » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm

I think duct knives have also been marketed to folk desiring to administer the throat artery cut on a hog, thereby dispatching the unfortunate fellow but promising great reward for the perpetrator. AKA "pig sticker." My self, I don't worry too much about violent encounters with people nor pigs (you're right about 'the wrong places') but if I was, I am prepared to go with one of my units that go BANG!. Ontario, et al, make and have made those knives with hardwood handles, also.

User avatar
cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2701
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by cody6268 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:43 pm

I've been looking for a Gerber Mark II/Fairbairn Sykes type knife on a budget. A duct knife was the best thing I could come up with.

Seems that one company has taken that same idea commercially.

Klein Tools owns Blackfire; a company mostly producing flashlights, but also recently got into the knife and tool game.

They gave Klein's $20 duct knife different branding and a new sheath, and tripled the price; marketing it as a survival knife.

User avatar
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8759
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by 1967redrider » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:55 pm

tongueriver wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm
I think duct knives have also been marketed to folk desiring to administer the throat artery cut on a hog, thereby dispatching the unfortunate fellow but promising great reward for the perpetrator. AKA "pig sticker." My self, I don't worry too much about violent encounters with people nor pigs (you're right about 'the wrong places') but if I was, I am prepared to go with one of my units that go BANG!. Ontario, et al, make and have made those knives with hardwood handles, also.


I'm with you, tongue, don't take a knife to a gun fight. 😉


Are there any pictures of said duct knife?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

User avatar
edge213
Posts: 5377
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by edge213 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:52 pm

I had to do an internet search to see what a duct knife was.
They do look more "tactical" than "tool" to me.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: ARIZONA

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by stagman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 pm

Fix blade vs 45 long colt Ruger Vaquero....um, if you need a weapon that bad
the choice for me is the 45....
might be good in Natl Park where no guns allowed on trails....
"enter" less than palm size Beretta 22 long rifle in my pocket
Sorry, don't mean to be smart #$$...just real world stuff

Maddogfl
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Maddogfl » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:33 pm

stagman wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:45 pm
Fix blade vs 45 long colt Ruger Vaquero....um, if you need a weapon that bad
the choice for me is the 45....
might be good in Natl Park where no guns allowed on trails....
"enter" less than palm size Beretta 22 long rifle in my pocket
Sorry, don't mean to be smart #$$...just real world stuff
Well, Stag, concealed means concealed. I carry a Colt Defender anywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. Nobody looks hard at a gray haired old man and his aging wife. ;) If I ever wanted to wear close fitting clothes to show off my manly physique to impress the young ladies I could always carry a Beretta Minx, or my Baby Browning in my jock strap. Right tool for the job at hand. (Talk about flashing someone, "Hey, baby, want to see my Minx?")

My post is really a sideways, tongue in cheek, poke at the term "tactical." That said, the duct knife would make a hell of a defensive blade even if it is not a Fairbairn Sykes or a Fallkniven. For heaven's sake, if you ever have to "tactically" stick someone, you will need to throw the knife in the river anyway, so would you rather throw away a $200.00 knife or a $15.00 one? Did I mention that I am a tightwad?

User avatar
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8759
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by 1967redrider » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:38 pm

Borrowing this from Home Depot, I guess this is what we're talking about. ::shrug::
Attachments
OIP.jpeg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Samb
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 am

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Samb » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:19 am

Looks like a good stabber and with the serrations it could open someone open like a book. Nasty!

User avatar
FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 13185
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by FRJ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am

I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::
Joe

User avatar
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8759
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by 1967redrider » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 am

FRJ wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am
I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::


In that Jimmy Hoffa movie, he said, "charge a gun, run from a knife." Good to know. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Samb
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:02 am

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Samb » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:32 am

1967redrider wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:24 am
FRJ wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:38 am
I'm gettin' older but I can still run. ::woot::


In that Jimmy Hoffa movie, he said, "charge a gun, run from a knife." Good to know. ::nod::
Look where that got him.

stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1259
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:37 pm
Location: ARIZONA

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by stagman » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Reckon I misunderstood ( a lot of that turning 70 end of month ) when you
implied not being under armed with that knife....
have had a CCW permit myself since 2007...no harm
done or taken ::handshake::

Stag

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 13155
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by doglegg » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:19 pm

stagman wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:31 pm
Reckon I misunderstood ( a lot of that turning 70 end of month ) when you
implied not being under armed with that knife....
have had a CCW permit myself since 2007...no harm
done or taken ::handshake::

Stag
Starman, I got you by 4 years and that misunderstanding doesn't seem to get better with each year. But a lot of us on here are understanding that. ::facepalm:: ::shrug:: ::facepalm::

TazmanTom18
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by TazmanTom18 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 pm

Old Hickory 73. carbon steel 13.95 unless you know someone, $7-8 whsl..
Attachments
Ontario-1336-scaled.jpg

Maddogfl
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: $15.00 Tactical fixed blade of a different color

Post by Maddogfl » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:25 pm

TazmanTom18 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:36 pm
Old Hickory 73. carbon steel 13.95 unless you know someone, $7-8 whsl..
Now, that is what I am talking about!

Post Reply

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”