Characteristics of 18th Century Pocket Knives

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
44-henry

Characteristics of 18th Century Pocket Knives

Post by 44-henry »

I am new to this forum, but am interested in learning more about early pocket knives from the 18th and early 19th centuries. My interest is really from that of a knifemaker interested in recreating historically correct reproductions. To date I have only made simple friction folders in the style that some know as "penny knives", I realize that many are skeptical about the origins of this style of knife but they are fun to make. I have included a couple photographs here of ones that I have made in the past.
Penny Knife 2.jpg
Penny Knife.jpg
Recently I acquired a pocket knife that I thought had some characteristics that could place it at the end of the 18th, or at least very early 19th centuries which I posted on this forum in another thread. Here is one photograph of this below:
old knife.jpg
I felt it might fit into this period due to the integral bolsters, tapered spring, style of the makers mark, style of bone scales. Its seems I was somewhat off the mark and it probably fits better into the mid 1800's than much earlier. So, just looking for opinions on what to watch for in my search for genuine 18th century examples of pocket knives. I have a variety of reference books including the Key to Sheffield Manufactories, Levine's Guide to Knives 2nd edition, but I am always on the lookout for more books that provide a clearer picture. Any thoughts on the subject and any general information about characteristics would be greatly appreciated.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”