What kind of Folder is this???

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Post Reply
Redchord520
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:40 pm

What kind of Folder is this???

Post by Redchord520 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:56 pm

Hey Fine Folks,

Got a Camillus here and I've never seen this pattern before. Based on the Tang Stamp this is early 30s to mid 40s. What is this kind of folder called?
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

User avatar
edge213
Posts: 5387
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by edge213 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:02 pm

Redchord520 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:56 pm
Hey Fine Folks,

Got a Camillus here and I've never seen this pattern before. Based on the Tang Stamp this is early 30s to mid 40s. What is this kind of folder called?

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg
Timber scribe.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

User avatar
Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5587
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by Steve Warden » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:14 pm

edge213 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:02 pm
Redchord520 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:56 pm
Hey Fine Folks,

Got a Camillus here and I've never seen this pattern before. Based on the Tang Stamp this is early 30s to mid 40s. What is this kind of folder called?

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg
Timber scribe.
There ya go. I knew it had to do with logs and lumber in some way.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

User avatar
Ridgegrass
Posts: 1563
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: Ocean City, MD
Contact:

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by Ridgegrass » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:16 pm

Used to mark crates and timbers. Also called "Rase" knives. Nice piece! ::tu:: J.O'.

User avatar
deo-pa
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:57 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by deo-pa » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 pm

Also called a Race knife. See Wikipedia entry for an explanation and some examples of how it is used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_knife

Dennis

User avatar
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1075
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 pm
Location: The Old Dominion

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by herbva » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:14 pm

I have an old European vintner's knife that has one of these blades in addition to the normal knife blades and a corkscrew. In researching this knife, I found out that the timber scribe/race knife blade was used for marking the wooden wine barrels. I guess that was before felt marking pens were invented. :D
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

User avatar
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 10249
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28 am
Location: Republic of Texas

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by Mumbleypeg » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:35 pm

FYI here’s the definition from the Knife Magazine glossary. https://www.knifemagazine.com/glossary/ ... e-pattern/

Krn
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

ea42
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Wallkill, NY

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by ea42 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm

Yep, I can attest to them being used in home building as the Knife Magazine article stated. I did some extensive remodel work on an old timber frame home and found roman numerals scratched on all the studs and their matching numerals scratched next to a mark in the header beams. The roman numerals make sense as they're basically all straight lines, which are much easier to scratch into wood than a curve.

Eric

knife7knut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 9540
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Tecumseh,Michigan

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by knife7knut » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 pm

ea42 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm
The roman numerals make sense as they're basically all straight lines, which are much easier to scratch into wood than a curve.

Eric
Which is why you have one like this.The folding blade is for long straight lines and the fixed blade is used to cut circle elements in conjunction with the pointed end.
Attachments
UnmarkedDoubleBladeRaseKnife2019.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

ea42
Posts: 2305
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: Wallkill, NY

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by ea42 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:56 pm

knife7knut wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 pm
ea42 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm
The roman numerals make sense as they're basically all straight lines, which are much easier to scratch into wood than a curve.

Eric
Which is why you have one like this.The folding blade is for long straight lines and the fixed blade is used to cut circle elements in conjunction with the pointed end.
Very cool! There's a tool for everything! ::tu::

Eric

User avatar
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8771
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:23 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA
Contact:

Re: What kind of Folder is this???

Post by 1967redrider » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:00 pm

ea42 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:56 pm
knife7knut wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:30 pm
ea42 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:43 pm
The roman numerals make sense as they're basically all straight lines, which are much easier to scratch into wood than a curve.

Eric
Which is why you have one like this.The folding blade is for long straight lines and the fixed blade is used to cut circle elements in conjunction with the pointed end.
Very cool! There's a tool for everything! ::tu::

Eric

And Ray has them! Thanks for posting. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Post Reply

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”