J.H. Thompson Pen Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

J.H. Thompson Pen Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a very nice 3 1/2" sleeveboard pen knife. Both tangs are marked "J.H. Thompson/Cutlery LTD/Sheffield/England".
This marking is in LG4 with "circa 1955" as the only info and It is also in Goins as 1953 with the address of: 72 Arundel St. Sheffield England.
Does anyone else have a knife with this marking ?
Do you think the handles are celluloid or acrylic ?
Does the shield have stylized letters or just a design ?
I showed this knife to Bernard Levine years ago and his reply was one word "custom". If this is correct then it implies that J.H. Thompson Cutlery LTD. was not a small factory but just one cutler making knives start to finish.
If you know or dig up any information about this cutler or cutlery, please post.
kj
Attachments
IMGP1089.JPG
IMGP1090.JPG
IMGP1091.JPG
IMGP1092.JPG
IMGP1092.JPG (26.58 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
IMGP1093.JPG
IMGP1093.JPG (22.21 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
IMGP1094.JPG
IMGP1094.JPG (43.29 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: J.H. Thompson Pen Knife

Post by danno50 »

Tweedale has a listing for J.H. Thompson Cutlery Ltd. The firm started in 1932 as Howe & Thompson on Arundel St. By 1935 J.H Thompson operated alone as J.H. Thompson, cutlery manufacturer, at No. 72 Arundel St. He manufactured pen, pocket and hunting knives, besides table and dessert cutlery. In 1948 the firm was registered as J.H. Thompson Ltd and also registered the trademarks "SABRE" and "CALYPSO". The firm ceased business in the early 1960s. Based on the dates, I would think that the handles are probably celluloid?
Dan
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice one Roland! The handles are a bit hard for me to discern but they could either be celluloid or perhaps even clear horn that has been made to look like tortoise shell. The "monogram"(as differentiated from initials) looks to be either S.S.J. or S.S.I.
Initials are always the same size and the last one is the starting letter of the surname. A monogram will always have the first letter of the last name in the center and larger than the others.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dan, thank you for this information. As the tang stamp includes "LTD" then likely this knife was made between 1948 to early 1960's.
Acrylic resin was developed in 1930's but when was it first used for knife handles ?
These handles show no sign of shrinkage or deterioration and have a clarity and 'depth' that associate with acrylic. But i could be completely mistaken. It does not look like clear horn to me. I think the handles are a synthetic.
Ray, thank you for your help as well. As the shield has a "monogram" on it, then this person's surname began with an "I" or "J" ? e.g. "Steven Samuel Jones" ?
kj
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

K.J.: That's a really sweet piece! ::tu:: ::tu:: J.O'.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:02 am Dan, thank you for this information. As the tang stamp includes "LTD" then likely this knife was made between 1948 to early 1960's.
Acrylic resin was developed in 1930's but when was it first used for knife handles ?
These handles show no sign of shrinkage or deterioration and have a clarity and 'depth' that associate with acrylic. But i could be completely mistaken. It does not look like clear horn to me. I think the handles are a synthetic.
Ray, thank you for your help as well. As the shield has a "monogram" on it, then this person's surname began with an "I" or "J" ? e.g. "Steven Samuel Jones" ?
kj
I believe it is a J although the font isn't anything I have ever seen before. Not surprising as there are literally hundreds of thousands of fonts and hundred of books showing them.I've created a good sized book of my own.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

I have this one with the same stamp. All three blades have the stamp
It is 4" closed. Tight and snappy. Bone scales.
Attachments
IMG_20210503_135957.jpg
IMG_20210503_140031.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Mr. Chips. Looks like a fine knife. Mine has both blades marked, so all blades marked, as is yours.
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Knice knife Mr Chips ::nod:: ::nod::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”