Ebay/Paypal question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tongueriver

Ebay/Paypal question

Post by tongueriver »

I ordered an item on Ebay with Paypal, 25 days ago and it has not shown up, although tracking shows that it was shipped a day or so after I ordered. I don't think that it will show; do I have any recourse? Considering that it was shipped, it is not the seller's fault (unless the packaging was poor).
fergusontd

Re: Ebay/Paypal question

Post by fergusontd »

::td:: :x The USPS SUCKS! We mailed bill payments over 2 months ago and the one was just recieved yesterday. The others have disappeared into the bowels of the post office. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 pm I ordered an item on Ebay with Paypal, 25 days ago and it has not shown up, although tracking shows that it was shipped a day or so after I ordered. I don't think that it will show; do I have any recourse? Considering that it was shipped, it is not the seller's fault (unless the packaging was poor).
With PayPal you can file a dispute if you didn’t receive the item. I agree that it’s not the sellers fault but it’s not your fault either.
PayPal will refund your money. You can always pay the seller later if the item shows up.
There are times when the USPS leaves much to be desired.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Jeffinn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm
tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 pm I ordered an item on Ebay with Paypal, 25 days ago and it has not shown up, although tracking shows that it was shipped a day or so after I ordered. I don't think that it will show; do I have any recourse? Considering that it was shipped, it is not the seller's fault (unless the packaging was poor).
With PayPal you can file a dispute if you didn’t receive the item. I agree that it’s not the sellers fault but it’s not your fault either.
PayPal will refund your money. You can always pay the seller later if the item shows up.
There are times when the USPS leaves much to be desired.
Jeff
Thanks, Jeff; when the full month has passed and no item I will try the dispute route.
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

I believe that eBay will cover your loss. Under their eBay Money Back Guarantee. Worth checking out.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
just bob

Post by just bob »

Yes go to your Ebay page and go to the item. Over on the right on the scroll down menu select - more items - contact seller - I didn't receive my item. Open a claim. You'll get your money back including the shipping you paid. Ebay uses the tracking info to determine if you have received the item or not. I've had to pay put twice this year due to undelivered mail.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks for the good information. I will give it one more week before I jump.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Cal I've had a few items take on average four weeks to reach their destinations lately. Might be hard to believe but if it still shows in progress on tracking there's probably a good chancer you'll still get it.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Yes; I still have hope, but tracking has not shown it to get anywhere beyond the original p.o.
just bob

Post by just bob »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:03 pm Thanks for the good information. I will give it one more week before I jump.

You might check but I think you only have 30 days to open a claim.

Let the seller know your item hasn't arrived
If the estimated delivery date for your item has passed, and you still haven't received your item, let the seller know. You have 30 days from the estimated delivery date to inform the seller that you didn't receive your item.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
ea42

Post by ea42 »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm Yes; I still have hope, but tracking has not shown it to get anywhere beyond the original p.o.
I had the same issue, showed it was sent to the next destination from my PO and that was it. I went to this page on the USPS site https://usps.force.com/emailus/s/ and opened an inquiry under the "Where's My Package" window. Just fill in the pertinent info. That seemed to get the ball rolling for me. A couple of days later tracking showed the item in Georgia and then it was delivered.

You'll need some buyers and senders info so I'm not sure which person is the best candidate to fill it out.

Eric
ea42

Post by ea42 »

ea42 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:56 pm
tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:12 pm Yes; I still have hope, but tracking has not shown it to get anywhere beyond the original p.o.
I had the same issue, showed it was sent to the next destination from my PO and that was it. I went to this page on the USPS site https://usps.force.com/emailus/s/ and opened an inquiry under the "Where's My Package" window. Just fill in the pertinent info. That seemed to get the ball rolling for me. A couple of days later tracking showed the item in Georgia and then it was delivered.

You'll need some buyers and senders info so I'm not sure which person is the best candidate to fill it out. I was the sender, through an Ebay sale, and it worked fine for me as far as the forms since I was able to look up the sender's info on the "order details" page.

Eric
PS, Cal I wanted to add some info but somehow wound up quoting the message instead (with the added info included). Very strange. Check above...
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thanks, Eric; I now have an inquiry in to the USPS. I did not know how to get an actual address for the seller because Ebay makes that a no no. We shall see.
just bob

Post by just bob »

You don't need to go through USPS you can resolve this through ebay in about 4 clicks. You don't need the seller's address at all.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

just bob wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:03 pm You don't need to go through USPS you can resolve this through ebay in about 4 clicks. You don't need the seller's address at all.
Yes; I suspected that so I started it there also by contacting the seller (first step) and studying the rest of the process (starting with 'Help and Contact' hot link at the top of my summary page). I actually have not completely given up hope but it is fading. It was about $89 worth but easily duplicated as it was not a collectible or anything like that.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My experience is that the seller knows whether the USPS has delivered the item - they can track it too. In the past several years I’ve had two eBay purchases not delivered. In both cases about a month after the item was shipped, but not delivered, I contacted the seller to advise them the item was still showing in transit, just giving them a heads-up. Told them I was going to wait a couple more weeks before making a claim if the item had not arrived by then.

In both cases the sellers refunded my money with no further questions asked. Neither item ever showed up. Not sure whether the sellers made a claim or not but I never had to get eBay or the USPS involved.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
just bob

Post by just bob »

tongueriver wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 pm
just bob wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:03 pm You don't need to go through USPS you can resolve this through ebay in about 4 clicks. You don't need the seller's address at all.
Yes; I suspected that so I started it there also by contacting the seller (first step) and studying the rest of the process (starting with 'Help and Contact' hot link at the top of my summary page). I actually have not completely given up hope but it is fading. It was about $89 worth but easily duplicated as it was not a collectible or anything like that.

This is the entire ebay policy in black and white. Very simple. You will get a refund if you open a claim and the item is not delivered. Don't wait too long to open a claim. There is a time limit.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/return ... ed?id=4042

ea42

Post by ea42 »

I didn't mention going through USPS to get a refund, rather you contact them so they can put a trace on the package. That's what I did (as the seller) and suddenly tracking showed the package moving again after three weeks of just sitting there. Going through Ebay only results in a refund and the seller losing out on his money, it does nothing to track down the package. The USPS route is a good go-between just to make sure the package isn't backed up somewhere before you go the refund route.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Yes, Eric; I understood. I have an inquiry going with the post office as you suggested, and I contacted the seller and he is making his own inquiries, the nature of which I am not sure. I am sure to get some satisfaction on some level at some point. What a nice bunch you all are to get me going on this! ::tu::
Edit: It was largely my fault to conduct non-essential business at that time of the year!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Late breaking knews.
tracking.JPG
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

Good deal its moving. I sell on Ebay. If I get a complaint and open a lost mail search it usually gets found quickly. Although I've had to make various calls and some post offices are 2 months behind. I've noticed now the usps is saying due to covid lost mail searches could take up to as long as 90 days 😫😫
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

When using PayPal "Goods & Services" option to pay for an item, the buyer gets insurance and the seller gets charged money to pay for this insurance. My understanding is that if the item fails to arrive, the seller is expected to refund the buyer. If the seller refuses to refund, then PP will reimburse the buyer and 'come after' the seller to collect the refund amount.
Even though the seller is paying for the insurance he looses his money even though he properly shipped the item with tracking.
This is why i ask buyers (not ebay related) to use "Family & Friends" to pay for knives i sell. I do not need PP to tell me to do the right thing and refund the buyer should item not arrive.
This is an unfair system. Paying for insurance should cover both buyer and seller so that neither looses money.
What do you think about this ?
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Roland, does Paypal/Ebay "go after" the seller, even if tracking shows that the package was in the possession of the post office?
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Cal,

I was in the same boat with a knife I won on ebay. Took over a month to get here and mailed before Christmas, tracking system doesn't work when things are this backed up. I just let the seller know the status from time to time so he knew it wasn't delivered yet. It did come, eventually. It sucks.
steve99f
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 pm Roland, does Paypal/Ebay "go after" the seller, even if tracking shows that the package was in the possession of the post office?
Calvin i have phoned PP and asked about what the PP insurance covers. The answer was not entirely clear to me. But i think that PP makes sure the buyer gets refunded by the seller. There is nothing in it for the seller.
I asked the question in this thread in case others have experience that shows my understanding is not correct.
All this is based on the item being shipped with tracking by the seller.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”