Buyer Protection

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Carl1970

Buyer Protection

Post by Carl1970 »

What type of protection does a buyer have when purchasing knives on here? I purchased an item on this site, it had no tracking and its been 3 or 4 weeks and I still don't have it. It was not much money but there are some things on this site that I would like to buy that are pricey. If I'm missing something could some one explain this to me?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buyer Protection

Post by doglegg »

Hey Carl, sorry for your misfortune. Have you contacted the seller? That would probably be the first thing to do. If you bought through Paypal I believe they offer you some protection. I'm sure some folks more knowledgeable will be along to help further. Also the mail has been as much as a month behind on some deliveries. Good luck with your resolution. ::nod:: ::handshake::
Kase's Kutlery Plus

Post by Kase's Kutlery Plus »

No idea on site policies but don't necessarily think you got took. In places like Atlanta the usps is behind as much as 2 months.
Carl1970

Post by Carl1970 »

No, I don't think I got took. I bought a knife off eBay and it took over a month to get here. This is regular mail sent in an envelope. I just feel that I have no protection like I do on eBay. There are some nice knives that I would like to purchase from this site but I just don't want to put out hundreds of dollars with no protection.
just bob

Post by just bob »

It will most likely show up. Just so you know if you pay for an item though PayPal using friends & family they will not help you. If you used goods & services then they will assist you.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Can't speak for everyone on AAPK but I would trust AAPK Dealers more than Ebay . ::tu:: We have a good group of knife sellers and collectors ::handshake:: . I have a store on AAPK and stand behind all my sales and I bet most Dealers would also agree . There is nothing worst than having a bad name and it gets around quick . I would do as Doglegg said contact the dealer and see what he say's . ::handshake::
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Consider signing up for a USPS Informed Delivery account in case this happens again. It's free and they will let you know when a package ships by USPS whether the seller lets you know or not. You'll know it shipped and you'll have the tracking number so you can watch its progress.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:41 pm Consider signing up for a USPS Informed Delivery account in case this happens again. It's free and they will let you know when a package ships by USPS whether the seller lets you know or not. You'll know it shipped and you'll have the tracking number so you can watch its progress.
Never mind. I just noticed that you said it's an envelope which probably wouldn't have a tracking number anyway. Sorry about that.
Rick T.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Good luck. I ordered items from Georgia and Tennessee on the 29th and 30th of December and they are out in the ozone somewhere. I still have hope and I suspect your item will arrive eventually as well. Because of some political shenanigans, the morale among postal employees is not good right now, and that is in addition to the terrible times they endure during the holiday rush. Hang in there!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Carl1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:19 pm What type of protection does a buyer have when purchasing knives on here? I purchased an item on this site, it had no tracking and its been 3 or 4 weeks and I still don't have it. It was not much money but there are some things on this site that I would like to buy that are pricey. If I'm missing something could some one explain this to me?
If you paid with PayPal you can file a dispute with them and they’ll investigate the issue.
Just as a point of reference, the USPS has been a little erratic at best. I sent my son a couple of knives on January 5 (he lives in Arizona). I just noticed yesterday that the package showed up in the Detroit distribution center. That means that his package bounced around Michigan for about 10 days. It’s supposedly on its way :roll:
Definitely contact the seller about your delayed package. And if you’re concerned about buyer protection going forward then consider using PayPal.
Hope this helps.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Jeffinn wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Carl1970 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:19 pm What type of protection does a buyer have when purchasing knives on here? I purchased an item on this site, it had no tracking and its been 3 or 4 weeks and I still don't have it. It was not much money but there are some things on this site that I would like to buy that are pricey. If I'm missing something could some one explain this to me?
If you paid with PayPal you can file a dispute with them and they’ll investigate the issue.
Just as a point of reference, the USPS has been a little erratic at best. I sent my son a couple of knives on January 5 (he lives in Arizona). I just noticed yesterday that the package showed up in the Detroit distribution center. That means that his package bounced around Michigan for about 10 days. It’s supposedly on its way :roll:
Definitely contact the seller about your delayed package. And if you’re concerned about buyer protection going forward then consider using PayPal.
Hope this helps.
Jeff
Just FYI Jeff, I've had more than 1 package disappear once it got to the Detroit Distribution Center. I read something somewhere, that said there is a problem with theft from that center in particular. You might want to start investigating now, and possibly avoid disappointment later. Just thought you might be interested. ::handshake:: Mark! 8)
8)
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:14 pm
Jeffinn wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Hope this helps.
Jeff
Just FYI Jeff, I've had more than 1 package disappear once it got to the Detroit Distribution Center. I read something somewhere, that said there is a problem with theft from that center in particular. You might want to start investigating now, and possibly avoid disappointment later. Just thought you might be interested. ::handshake:: Mark! 8)
Thanks.
I’ve had lots of delays in the Detroit postal distribution center but have never lost one there (yet). If I lose this one I’ll shrug it off and move on. I spent a bunch of time trying to find out what happened to a knife that supposedly went missing last year and discovered it’s a total waste of time. Over the past few years I’ve shipped over 100 knives and only lost one (and I don’t believe that one was lost but since it didn’t get scanned I had to take the loss). I considered switching over to UPS but it cost more and most customers are really “frugal” when it comes to shipping and handling charges.
There aren’t a lot of options for shipping. It’s either USPS, UPS or FedEx. Day in and day out USPS gets my packages where they need to go just not always in the most timely fashion!
Thanks.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
ea42

Post by ea42 »

If it's something pricey you could always ask the seller to include insurance. In general it's only a few bucks extra but I'd say well worth it if you're talkng about a more expensive item.

Eric
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Insurance might help in convincing the seller to refund the purchase price but it's the seller who receives the insurance money in the event of a claim.

The buyer cannot make the insurance claim because he or she did not purchase the insurance. They may have paid extra for it but the shipper buys the insurance and therefore receives the settlement if there is one.
Rick T.

Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

For purchases in the store, the first line of protection is through the payment processor. They will most always get you a refund unless seller can provide proof item was delivered.

If you paid with PayPal & do not receive a purchased item we recommend opening a PayPal dispute...
https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/art ... ong-faq957

If you paid with Square, Square dispute...
https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article ... alkthrough

Other credit card payments, you can dispute charge by contacting your credit card issuer.

Money orders & personal checks do not have much recourse, so AAPK requires a track record to allow seller's to accept those forms of payment.

If the above measures fail, AAPK will intervene & take action to help with a resolution & refund if necessary. You can contact AAPK regarding these matters via following link...
memberlist.php?mode=contactadmin

Also, Sellers must be approved before they can list in the stores. Any seller who does not deliver will be closed down, so the reach of any bad apple that sneaks into the approved seller list will be limited.
Bryan
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

ea42 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:53 pm If it's something pricey you could always ask the seller to include insurance. In general it's only a few bucks extra but I'd say well worth it if you're talkng about a more expensive item.

Eric
USPS insurance is pretty much useless. It has been discussed here before.
I talked to a friend who works at the post office he pretty much agrees.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Bryan for the explanation and professionalism. ::handshake::
just bob

Post by just bob »

Not so much here on AAPK, but in general beware of paying for items using Friends & family, There are a lot scams out there using F&F. Beware!

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee PayPal_Adrian PayPal Employee
‎Jul-17-2014 04:36 PM
Re: Can you dispute a friends and family payment?
Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

What does PayPal say?
A PayPal spokesperson said: "PayPal Buyer Protection does not cover money transfers between friends or family. If someone selling you goods or a service asks you to send a friends and family payment, you should refuse.

"Identifying a payment as being for goods or a service ultimately ensures we can reimburse you if something goes wrong."

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

just bob wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:10 am Not so much here on AAPK, but in general beware of paying for items using Friends & family, There are a lot scams out there using F&F. Beware!

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee PayPal_Adrian PayPal Employee
‎Jul-17-2014 04:36 PM
Re: Can you dispute a friends and family payment?
Hi everyone,

Payments sent through the Friends and Family option are not eligible for Buyer Protection at this time.

If you are paying for an item, goods, or service, we strongly recommend against marking it as Friends and Family.

So, stay safe and don't use this if you're purchasing something - you might be hurting yourself in the long run Smiley Sad

- Adrian

What does PayPal say?
A PayPal spokesperson said: "PayPal Buyer Protection does not cover money transfers between friends or family. If someone selling you goods or a service asks you to send a friends and family payment, you should refuse.

"Identifying a payment as being for goods or a service ultimately ensures we can reimburse you if something goes wrong."
Very good advice, Bob. I always state in my sales threads to use Good & Services for that very reason.

So far everybody has cooperated except one buyer. He paid by Friends & Family because he thought I would appreciate saving the fees. I refunded his payment and asked him to use G&S as requested in my thread which he happily did.

I’m a firm believer in the information you posted.
Rick T.

just bob

Post by just bob »

It's funny when you buy an item on Ebay, Amazon, or even Jantz you don't have the option to pay for the item using F&F, but you do here on AAPK. Can anyone explain that in simple terms?

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

just bob wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:11 am It's funny when you buy an item on Ebay, Amazon, or even Jantz you don't have the option to pay for the item using F&F, but you do here on AAPK. Can anyone explain that in simple terms?
Perhaps because in legal terms, using F&F to purchase goods or services is a violation of Paypal’s Terms of Service that everybody agreed to when they created a Paypal account. Those corporations feel an obligation to follow the rules.

Honestly, I’m a little surprised that Adrian’s comments in your quotes were so lenient considering he’s a Paypal representative.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The best insurance a buyer can have is the integrity of the seller. I have sold quite a few knives here using the "For Sale" forum. I always ship with tracking and if an item fails to arrive i will refund the buyer. There is no need for PP insurance because my integrity makes me do the right thing.
What i would like to see here is a Feed Back Forum where buyers and sellers can post their experience for a transaction.
To me a satisfied buyer is more important than the money i receive, so i will do whatever is reasonable to make sure the buyer is pleased with what he got for what he paid. I am sure there are many sellers here who conduct themselves similarly but without a FB forum first time buyers might feel like they are taking a chance.
kj
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:02 am The best insurance a buyer can have is the integrity of the seller. I have sold quite a few knives here using the "For Sale" forum. I always ship with tracking and if an item fails to arrive i will refund the buyer. There is no need for PP insurance because my integrity makes me do the right thing.
What i would like to see here is a Feed Back Forum where buyers and sellers can post their experience for a transaction.
To me a satisfied buyer is more important than the money i receive, so i will do whatever is reasonable to make sure the buyer is pleased with what he got for what he paid. I am sure there are many sellers here who conduct themselves similarly but without a FB forum first time buyers might feel like they are taking a chance.
kj
This is a good post kj.
I applaud your integrity in this matter.
If all sellers had this integrity there would be no issues, but that is to much to ask for.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

As a buyer have to agree with Roland , need to buy from reputable sellers!!!! Recently there have been a few newer Sellers here on AAPK . Bought from one and the experience was not so pleasant. No response from pm or email ,no return call ,no product yet, 2 months later and don’t see him advertising anything lately . Bought from the other and did receive Item BUT , not like it was professional ,or even close , then get pm informing of good stuff coming up and to buy when he posts. Felt like it was all about the money .
Will continue to buy here but only from guys like Roland ,or SSK ,Mr Sanders , etc,etc. who have been around and earned that place .
If I’ve offended anyone as a Seller ,well ,too bad , man up and do the right thing ! ,!
JP
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thank you JP I appreciate the endorsement. I think most of what I wanted to say has been said. I’m like Gary Kennedy, I stand behind all my knives and if there is ever a problem I will make it right. I only had one knife this Christmas season go awol and it finally showed up after 3 weeks. I not only took a call from the buyer, I made calls to the buyer and sent emails and contacted our local Post Office Postmaster. I even secured a second knife just like the one he bought so that I could overnight it to him if the original didn’t show up, he wanted the knife and not the money and he made that clear. I will do whatever it takes to make someone happy with their purchase. I know a lot of sellers here on AAPK have the same ethic. If you are in doubt, look at feedback and even send an email, PM, or phone the seller and find out how they deal with these issues in advance.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”