Good to be Here...

Drop in and tell us a little about yourself.
Xyphos

Good to be Here...

Post by Xyphos »

I'm David and have been into pocketknives since about the age of nine. My uncle would send me big boxes of goodies he didn't need anymore and he'd often include one or more pocketknives. They were usually rusty, aged, hard to open scouts or hobos. Nothing special but it got me interested and I eventually purchased a Gerber Silver Knight back in, ohhh, maybe '77. Gradually my fascination grew and when I finally could afford it, I began collecting. Thank goodness that didn't happen until I was in my forties or I'd be sitting on some pretty bad knives.

Good to be here, finally .
cudgee

Re: Good to be Here...

Post by cudgee »

Welcome, i have a draw full of rubbish knives, that will never go away. :lol: Good to have you here. ::tu::
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

Welcome , stick around ,show off some of your stuff. Good folks here ,lots of knowledge. Have some fun and be safe out there.
JP
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Welcome, David! We look forward to seeing some of your collection!
::handshake::
::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Welcome Thumbs Up.jpeg
Welcome Thumbs Up.jpeg (2.04 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
Welcome David from another David, glad to have you. Will be looking forward
to seeing what knives you are collecting and just sharing some of your
knowledge.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Welcome David. Seems like a lot of Davids like and accumulate knives so you'll probably fit right in here.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Morning, Xyphos and ::welcome:: to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle sometimes known as LA (lower Alabama).
Seems like the point is being made that David must mean "knife collector" in some foreign language. ::hmm:: Sure are a pile of you "DAVIDS". :)
Some folks are purist collectors but some of us are accumulators, I fall in with the accumulator squad at muster.
Hope you will enjoy the forum. ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:06 pm Good Morning, Xyphos and ::welcome:: to AAPK from the Florida Panhandle sometimes known as LA (lower Alabama).
Seems like the point is being made that David must mean "knife collector" in some foreign language. ::hmm:: Sure are a pile of you "DAVIDS". :)
Some folks are purist collectors but some of us are accumulators, I fall in with the accumulator squad at muster.
Hope you will enjoy the forum. ::handshake::
Treefarmer
Your right Phil, in Hebrew it's "Beloved" collector of knives. :lol:
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Welcome to the forum.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Hi David. Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome:: We're glad to have you join us.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Another “welcome David” from Indiana.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard David. ::handshake::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::handshake:: Nice to meet you and ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

Thanks everyone, best welcome I've had on a forum... well, ever.

So I've been wanting to do a little patterned staining on some of my traditionals. High-acid fruits & veggies, mustard, etc. I've been using my S&M dogleg whittler to cut fruit and it immediately took on a robust patina I wasn't expecting, so I'm guessing the steel is 420HC as I can taste it on the fruit.

Any home stainers here ? Is there a thread on it ?
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I only did it one time on this CAMCO Barlow both as an experiment and because the I thought the blade looked particularly rough. I can't quite recallwhether I used a fruit or soaked it in some apple cider vinegar. In any event I was pleased with the result.

P1030904.JPG
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

^ Not bad-- does it prevent further corrosion ?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Quick Steel wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:59 pm I only did it one time on this CAMCO Barlow both as an experiment and because the I thought the blade looked particularly rough. I can't quite recallwhether I used a fruit or soaked it in some apple cider vinegar. In any event I was pleased with the result.

P1030904.JPG

I like it, QS. ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

cudgee wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
That is not what I've found with HC steels used on many trad slipjoints. I clean my knives after using every time but acids from food will begin corroding immediately. Further proof is when I taste metal in my food. That's corrosion.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Xyphos wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 pm
cudgee wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:33 pm If you use a knife regularly, as in a EDC on a regular basis, even if you rotate your knives, it should not corrode. With regular use, you are always wiping down the blade before you close it and put it back in your pocket, this stops corrosion and pitting. This also works on the scales, your hands natural oils will keep the handles in good condition, it is the old theory, use it or lose it. Hope this helps, and enjoy your time on the forum, good people here. ::tu::
That is not what I've found with HC steels used on many trad slipjoints. I clean my knives after using every time but acids from food will begin corroding immediately. Further proof is when I taste metal in my food. That's corrosion.
Interesting, i have never had that problem. ::shrug::
Xyphos

Post by Xyphos »

Maybe because i live on a coast --
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....welcome to AAPK!!!!................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ...........................

Return to “Member Introductions”