Polishing a knife

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Hillbilly62

Polishing a knife

Post by Hillbilly62 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:14 pm

I have an old knife that needs some work. Can anyone tell me if Smoky Valley Knife Works or anyone else can buff, polish, and/or resharpen my 65-69 stag handle small Congress during this COVID epidemic. Or would you leave it as is?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Polishing a knife

Post by Doc B » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:57 pm

Nice knife! I'm gonna vote do nothing except keep it sharp. Other's may have different opinions...but; it's your knife. I think, generally speaking...that if it's obvious that a knife, such as yours, has been obviously highly polished...it would decrease it's value some. Thanks for showing it! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Welcome to AAPK.
::handshake:: ::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:13 pm

Mostly it depends on your intended use for the knife. Since it’s already old I assume you don’t carry and use it. ::shrug:: Here’s a link to posts on the pros and cons of cleaning and polishing, and how to do it if your decide to.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157

As for hiring the work done I don’t know if Smokey Mountain Knife Works does that or not, but Case certainly does in their repair center https://caseknives.com/pages/warranty-repair Or there are some skilled knife mechanics that are members here. You might post a request in the Knife Repair and Restoration forum viewforum.php?f=37.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:22 pm

I would leave it alone. They would have to remove quite a bit of steel to get the pits out.Those spiders are into the metal.
Roger

cudgee
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by cudgee » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm

Also depends on what you are trying to achieve, if you just want to clean it up a bit and give it a spruce up, you could just use some Flitz or Case metal polish, and some oil on the scales. :)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”