German Pocket Knife

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
john paulson

German Pocket Knife

Post by john paulson » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:01 am

Hello, I have a German pocket knife that is over 50 years old (picture attached/below) my father gave this to me and I'd like to have it restored. Does anyone have any recommendations where to bring for repair? I live the SF Bay Area, north bay more specifically. Thank you in advance - John
jpjp51@yahoo.com
knife.jpeg

Reverand
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: German Pocket Knife

Post by Reverand » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:12 am

Personally, I believe that you should do as little to it as possible.
If the knife blades just need to be cleaned, there are several threads concerning that subject. Just do a search for "cleaning" and you will find a lot more information than you thought possible.
If there is any damage (broken blades, etc) then you can have a knife mechanic look at it, but it will cost more than the knife is worth. It is a tourist knife, and has very little monetary value. Since your father gave it to you, I know that it has sentimental value that cannot be measured!
Still, the more work that is done to repair a knife, the less of the original knife that exists.
Just my opinion - others may chime in with other advice.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:36 am

Welcome to AAPK. Reverand has given you good advice - unless it has some mechanical problems not visible from your picture, I don’t see much if anything wrong with the knife that a little cleaning won’t fix. I’d advise against over cleaning it to the point that it looks new. Here is a compilation of posts that addresses cleaning knives. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54157 You can find useful tips for cleaning just about every part of a knife.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"There was a time when young people revered their elders. No one knows when this was." - Bill Heavey
https://www.akti.org/

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:19 pm

I agree, don't do anything to it but lightly clean it and put it in a special place. I have been around old guns, knives and etc. all my life and have seen a lot of good old items screwed up by over "fixing, reblue, and etc." I'm not saying you would do that, but your old knife has 'stories" hidden in the scratches, dents, and etc. and in my opinion need to be left as is. Thanks for sharing, Terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”