What the heck is this for??

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
JenHel

What the heck is this for??

Post by JenHel » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:23 am

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone give me some info on this small pocket knife? What is the foldout curved tube all about? We thought maybe it was some sort of whistle but we can't make it work if it is. We don't see any makers marks either. Thanks for any info.
Jen
Attachments
20200728_205545.jpg
20200728_205503.jpg

cody6268

Re: What the heck is this for??

Post by cody6268 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:25 am

The purpose is medical. The blade is specially shaped for cutting an incision into the trachea, and the round piece is to be used as a breathing tube once inserted into the incision. But, I would say it could possibly be used as a guide to insert an endotracheal tube. The whole package is stainless steel as to be autoclavable for cleaning. Basically, it's a tracheotomy knife, made for doctors to carry as a "just in case" kind of thing. I think drug companies gave them out in the 1980s and 1990s.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:30 am

Cody are sure about this emergency tracheotomy use ?
I am a doctor and practised in the 1980's & '90's and i never saw one of these.
Furthermore, regardless of what tools you gave them, in excess of 90% of non-surgical MD's would not have a clue how to do an emergency tracheotomy and would be too frightened to attempt one.
My emergency trach kit is a #10 gauge intracath, the barrel of a 3cc syringe and a 15MM blue #7 endotracheal tube connector. Poke intracath through crico-thyroid membrane and slide flexible catheter into trachea and insert the narrow end of the 3cc syringe barrel and then push the blue endotracheal tube connector into end of 3cc syringe and attach other end to the ambubag and begin to ventilate. Expired air can escape around the catheter and out the mouth.
I'll go find it and take a picture.
kj
Edit to add these pictures. Note after going through crico-thyroid membrane you slide the plastic catheter down the trachea and remove the steel needle that is inside it. Needle is to puncture skin & membrane to get into trachea.
The last picture shows a connector with a port. Very useful to administer resuscitation drugs. They are rapidly absorbed from lung tissue, just as fast as giving IV.
Attachments
IMGP9269.JPG
IMGP9270.JPG
IMGP9271.JPG
IMGP9272.JPG
IMGP9273.JPG

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:47 am

I have NEVER seen anything like this before in all my years of collecting;hope someone will be able to ID it.Definitely has a specialized use.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:34 am

I have heard it said before by many people:
"It never ceases to amaze me what I learned on AAPK!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
Rule 9 - Always carry a knife. - Jethro Gibbs

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:33 pm

Cody, I have read the same thing. Don't know if it is accurate but I also read that explanation. ::nod::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:35 pm

cody6268 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:25 am
The purpose is medical. The blade is specially shaped for cutting an incision into the trachea, and the round piece is to be used as a breathing tube once inserted into the incision. But, I would say it could possibly be used as a guide to insert an endotracheal tube. The whole package is stainless steel as to be autoclavable for cleaning. Basically, it's a tracheotomy knife, made for doctors to carry as a "just in case" kind of thing. I think drug companies gave them out in the 1980s and 1990s.
The steel tube is far to narrow to insert an endotracheal tube through it. The tube is also rather short. If you managed to get it into the windpipe, the knife handle would need to be pressed and held against the neck. Note: patients with an obstructed airway, if not already dead, are fighting for their life, struggling to breath with the trachea being tugged down with every attempt to breath in and the respiratory rate can be 80-90 per minute. It is a very challenging situation even for an experienced Ear, Nose & Throat surgeon. (otolaryngologist)
This multitool is too small for these conditions.
The only possible way it could help is if you did manage to get this 'pipe' into the trachea, you could then insert a guide wire through it, remove the 'pipe' and pass an endotracheal tube over the guide wire down into the trachea and then remove the guide wire.
But if you have a guide wire and endotracheal tube then you have emergency supplies with you and will have better tools than a pocket knife.
Knife history and knife lore is full of misinformation. Someone says or now posts, "i think company "X" made your knife" and the next person says "i heard that knife was made by company "X" and soon others will say, "that knife was made by company "X" ".
Maybe someone did design this knife with an emergency tracheotomy in mind but if so it is a poor design and i doubt it has ever been used successfully by anyone for this purpose.
I think it is more likely for some other use, possibly veterinary, but i don't know any veterinary medicine to suggest what.
Would be great to find the original advertising associated with this knife because this would give us the answer as to intended use.
kj

just bob
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by just bob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:39 pm

I went to Google and searched for tracheotomy knives and then clicked on images and no knives like this came up., but did find this one so apparently pocket knives were made for this purpose and given out.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1810626203

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1888076234
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm

I’m going to take a stab at it and I am probably wrong. Each time this type of knife comes up I immediately think of this as something a Vet would use on animals. I seem to remember on the farm that cows would consume too much of certain feed and bloat w/ air in their stomachs and one way to relieve the pressure before it would kill the cow was to cut a small area and release the gas. I live w/ cows in pastures that come up against my property on three sides and I have seen cows die from this problem. The son of the farmer that now takes care of them doesn’t catch this the way his father did when he took care of the cattle.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm

The other tools look tobacco-pipe-like to me ::shrug:: i.e. smokers implements ::shrug:: could the curved tube have anything to do with pipe or tobacco smoking?

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:21 pm
I’m going to take a stab at it and I am probably wrong. Each time this type of knife comes up I immediately think of this as something a Vet would use on animals. I seem to remember on the farm that cows would consume too much of certain feed and bloat w/ air in their stomachs and one way to relieve the pressure before it would kill the cow was to cut a small area and release the gas. I live w/ cows in pastures that come up against my property on three sides and I have seen cows die from this problem. The son of the farmer that now takes care of them doesn’t catch this the way his father did when he took care of the cattle.
You're thinking of a trocar which is used in severe cases of bloat.
principale______1511_1818_111114.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:04 pm

I believe it is a trocar, used by veterinarians to relieve gas from a bloated cow or goat rumen, by an undertaker to drain body cavities of liquid, or by a surgeon for laproscopic surgeries.

Since it is pocket knife form, I'd vote for it being a veterianrian trocar.

Froe

Post by Froe » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 pm

I actually have a knife exactly like the one in question. It came in a black leather pocket sheath. I had heard the 'tracheotomy' knife story before and recognized the 'unknown use' knife from the description I had heard earlier. I snapped up the knife quickly out of the bay on a 'buy it now' pretty cheap. The version of the story I heard was that it was a give away knife for doctors, but it was decided that maybe a pocket DYI tracheotomy knife wasn't a great idea and so the idea died. Who really knows? ::shrug::
I just liked the story enough to use the knife for show-and-tell with my friends. Of course I'm going to stick to the story! It's probably more fun than the truth.
Froe

just bob
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by just bob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm

I've been looking in my books for a knife similar to the OP knife and came up empty. I did find this knife with a similar incurved shaped blade that the author says was for cutting quill pens. Is that an indication that the incurved blade on the OP knife might have that shape for cutting tubing or other trach supplies?

Anyone know the maker of the knife in the OP or what that shaped knife is called? I have a feeling there is a lot of info out there on this if we just had a few more clues. I'm coming up empty on my searches.
Attachments
tuber.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:48 pm

Froe wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:20 pm
I actually have a knife exactly like the one in question. It came in a black leather pocket sheath. I had heard the 'tracheotomy' knife story before and recognized the 'unknown use' knife from the description I had heard earlier. I snapped up the knife quickly out of the bay on a 'buy it now' pretty cheap. The version of the story I heard was that it was a give away knife for doctors, but it was decided that maybe a pocket DYI tracheotomy knife wasn't a great idea and so the idea died. Who really knows? ::shrug::
I just liked the story enough to use the knife for show-and-tell with my friends. Of course I'm going to stick to the story! It's probably more fun than the truth.
Froe
I like your post :D
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”