Case Bowie Rehab

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Bowie Rehab

Post by orvet »

I have been a bit slow lately getting knife completed, there's an awful lot happening to keep me busy this summer plus the fact that the arthritis in my hands is getting so bad most days I don't even dare work on my own knives. Most of the work on this knife was done months ago and I just did a little polishing and sharpening this weekend to finish it up.

I know I took some pictures of this knife as it existed before I gave it the spa treatment and a nice elk stag handle. The original black composite handle was pretty much destroyed. Some where I have the pictures and will post them when I find them, but a new PC and a new cell phone / camera has really rocked my technological world and I'm lagging behind!

The Bowie knife is a Case Davy Crockett Bowie. The handle was split with some large chunks broke out of it so I had to glue it back together to see how it looked and felt in my hand. I must confess that I thought the original handle felt a little skinny and ungainly for this large knife. It felt like a very vanilla handle, kind of an afterthought..
I polished the knife but it took me nearly a year to decided which piece of antler I wanted to use, but I think in the end it came out quite nicely, The curve in this piece of elk stag makes a perfect palm swell and it's really comfortable. I was surprised how much control was added by the shallow finger grooves.

I made no sheath sheath or display stand with this knife, my hands will not let me sew a sheath right now. I do have a heavy nylon case with soft lining to store the knife in.

It will be for sale in my store.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and your comments are appreciated.
Dale
Attachments
Case Bowie rehab a.jpg
Case Bowie rehab b.jpg
Case Bowie rehab c.jpg
Case Bowie rehab d.jpg
Case Bowie rehab e.jpg
Case Bowie rehab f.jpg
Case Bowie rehab g.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Bowie Rehab

Post by dlr110 »

I'm betting it's a better knife now than it was originally. The pictures of it are amazing, truly a work of art Dale. If it were mine I wouldn't even think about selling it. You did a masterful job Sir.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Very nice, Dale!. I don't think you could "3D print" a piece of elk that had a better shape and look, to go on that knife!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Beautiful Job Dale!
Those finger grooves are something I would have never thought of. Nice work!
I hope you can get some relief from the arthritis in your hands. You are too good of a craftsman to stop now!
Another fine rehab Job Dale!

::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

That's crazy nice, Dale!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

That’s beautiful! That piece of elk stag looks like it was grown just for the knife.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Dale that's awesome! I have the original with the black handles and I have to say that what you did is a huge improvement!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

D) All of the above

Ab-so-lute-ly beautiful!!!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That is a beauty, Dale!
When I first noticed it, I thought of my friend Wendell Hodges who went to be with the Lord in December of 2018. He gave me a Case Bowie for Christmas a few years ago.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

^^^ Everything stated above, and more.

You certainly rocked the case bowie world with that un' Dale, don't think you could get any better then that. Huge well done ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Very Nice Dale , Looks Well Balanced And Comfy :D ::tu:: K.C.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

To enhance my knowledge, what is the purpose of the strap along the spine? Cosmetic or other?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

just bob

Post by just bob »

Steve Warden wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:22 pm To enhance my knowledge, what is the purpose of the strap along the spine? Cosmetic or other?
Nice job Dale. That is great. I think now the brass guard is cosmetic, but originally it had a purpose. This is from Wikipedia.

Most later versions of the Bowie knife had a blade of at least 8 inches (20 cm) in length, some reaching 12 inches (30 cm) or more, with a relatively broad blade that was one and a half to two inches (3.8 to 5.1 cm) wide and made of steel usually between 3⁄16 to 1⁄4 in (4.8 to 6.4 mm) thick. The back of the blade sometimes had a strip of soft metal (normally brass or copper) inlaid which some believe was intended to catch an opponent's blade while others hold it was intended to provide support and absorb shock to help prevent breaking of poor quality steel or poorly heat treated blades. (A brass back is an indication of modern construction.[28]) Bowie knives often had an upper guard that bent forward at an angle (an S-guard) intended to catch an opponent's blade or provide protection to the owner's hand during parries and corps-a-corps.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I'm glad you enjoyed the knife.

The Brass Bar on the spine of the blade is supposed to be a blade catcher. It stops another knife from sliding down your blade into the guard or your hand. The first time I encountered that was on Al Mar's Alaskan Bowie. I asked Al what it was for and that's when he explained to me the purpose. I had not encountered that before either.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Bob was a little faster than me with his answer.

I can see that it would be good to absorb shock to the blade. I had not thought about it preventing poor Quality Steel blades from breaking. I guess we're a bit spoiled these days when we can reasonably assume even an inexpensive blade is reasonably good quality.

Some might add; "depending on where it was made."
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Bob, Dale - thanks for the education.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very, very sweet Dale!!! ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

That really is beautiful, Dale. It is good to know that your patience paid off, when you waited so long for a piece if antler that was "just right". Because it certainly is!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I knew I had a few before picture somewhere of this case Bowie. They're not great but the give you an idea of the, shaped the knife was in. I peeled all the electricians tape off of the handle before I took any pictures. The whole pile side of the handle was really badly messed up and, a piece missing and someone had tried to glue it together.
The views I did find are not encouraging but do not look too bad. The top of the handle was broken off right along the tang as you can see in the picture.

I have a fair amount of deer & elk stag and before making knives with hidden tangs. The problem is generally finding the exact right piece of stag to go with the knife you restoring. I have about four or five elk antler beams in my shop to choose from and just could not make up my mind which piece of mail that would make the best handle. When I finally decided, I cut the handle it out of an elk beam, drilled out the center of the beam and drilled the three pin holes in place. When I assembled it I used 5 minute epoxy and three brass pins. As you can see from the pictures the brass pins they are peened and the stag is glued inside, so it has both glue and mechanical fixtures holding the handle on. That one won't be an easy one to get a part if someone ever decides to redo it again.
Case Bowie before a.jpg
Case Bowie before b.jpg
Case Bowie before c.jpg

I was not sure that the piece of stag was the right one for the handle, but the more I worked with it the better it got.
For me stag is kind of a lesson in patience, at first it may not look-alike you wanted to but if you work with it long enough it generally looks better than you thought possible.
Case Bowie rehab e.jpg
Thanks for looking,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Once again Dale...You did a great job and created a thing of beauty!
Tape and glue.... YUCK!! what a mess!!
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”