Camillus 64 Spey Blade

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jerlin

Camillus 64 Spey Blade

Post by Jerlin » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm

Among some other knives I'm attempting to repair/restore is a Camillus 64. I have attached a photo. As you can see, the spey blade is damaged. I did it while in high school, but I won't bore you with the details or my stupidity of how it was done.

I would like to replace the spey blade and put new scales on the knife. I have already emailed orvet to see if he has a replacement blade. In the meantime, I'm wondering if the spey blade from similar models, such as the 65 or 66, would work. I know the 67 and 68 are larger knives, but then I don't know if the blade sizes are compatible with a 64.
20200526_125650.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Johnson

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camillus 64 Spey Blade

Post by doglegg » Tue May 26, 2020 6:46 pm

Jerry, I bet electricity was involved. Wish I could help you with a blade. ::shrug::

Meridian_Mike
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Meridian_Mike » Tue May 26, 2020 6:56 pm

Jerlin wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 pm
I'm wondering if the spey blade from similar models, such as the 65 or 66, would work.
Probably would work. Especially if they were from the same time period.
You would still have to make sure the notch (where the spring engages the blade) is the same as the original blade.
For the new blade to work right, you would just about have to "key match" the blades.

You might even be able to take a blade (from a different maker) and modify it.....

::shrug::
They buried William in the old church yard, And Barbara there anigh him,
And out of his grave grew a red, red rose, And out of hers, a briar.....
They lapped and tied in a true love's knot. The rose ran around the briar.

Jerlin

Post by Jerlin » Tue May 26, 2020 8:49 pm

doglegg and Meridian_Mike, thanks for the input. Pretty obvious that electricity was involved in my blunder. At least nothing was hurt but my knife and my pride.

Hopefully orvet will come thru with a replacement blade. Otherwise, I'll keep my eyes open for an inexpensive 64 with a good spey blade.

Jerry Johnson

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg » Tue May 26, 2020 8:54 pm

My dad was a mechanic and a knife was a tool. Most of his looked like this one. But with him it was on purpose jumping the starter solenoid.
DSCN3740.JPG

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”