Suggestions for Frozen Tang/Pommel Nut?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Suggestions for Frozen Tang/Pommel Nut?

Post by herbva »

My first vintage Marbles fixed blade just arrived, and the seller did disclose that the pommel was loose. What he didn't disclose is that someone buggered up the nut and even put some type of glue on it. I think the pommel may be bakelite, and I don't want to damage or destroy it. And, I don't want to make things worse. Otherwise I like the knife and don't want to return it. I would like to tighten the nut or perhaps even replace it. I have removed the glue and have been putting penetrating oil (liquid wrench) on the nut. Any suggestions for how to deal with this? Thanks! ::teary_eyes::
Attachments
DSCN9209.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Suggestions for Frozen Tang/Pommel Nut?

Post by knifegnome »

I had that happen to one of my knives and tried several tools that didn't work , so I got a large regular screwdriver and ground out the middle section of the head and it fit the nut perfect and came off with minimal effort.
Scott
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have made specialty bits for uses such as this by taking a large straight screwdriver bit that you would turn with a 5/16" driver and cut the center away with a Dremel tool to leave 2 prongs with a gap between.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There is a tool made for that, Not too expensive. https://picclick.com/Pommel-Nut-Tool-Ta ... 76123.html

Check eBay, “pommel nut tool” or similar wording.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

It looks like the threaded portion is flared out. I would grind or file this raised portion flat. I have several large flat head screwdrivers that I have slotted out to remove barrel nuts. I will normally place the blade in a plastic jawed vise to hold the knife steady while unscrewing the barrel nut. If you can strike the nut itself it may help to break free any glue that is in the threads.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Herb, forgive me for laughing at the heading concerning your Marbles fixed blade. I was scrolling through the forum and it struck me funny, Frozen Tang/Pommel Nut, sounded like a dessert! ::facepalm::
Seems like the advice given to get the nut loose should work. Improvising will get the job done, modifying a screwdriver or what ever to make a suitable tool has always made little screwy jobs easier to accomplish.
On the other hand, how about fixin' me a bowl of frozen tang and pommel nuts! :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:52 pm
On the other hand, how about fixin' me a bowl of frozen tang and pommel nuts! :)
Treefarmer
And would you like a a glass of wine with your tang and pommel nuts sir?
:lol:
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:13 pm There is a tool made for that, Not too expensive. https://picclick.com/Pommel-Nut-Tool-Ta ... 76123.html

Check eBay, “pommel nut tool” or similar wording.

Ken

Herb,

I have one of these if you want to swing by, I'd gladly lend it out to you. Social distancing of course. :wink: Might also want to try some Kroil penetrating spray to loosen it up first, that stuff really works. Shoot me a text if you're interested.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Witchhazel can be used as a penetrant to help break loose stuck nuts.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys! So, I did my best to follow your suggestions, made my own tool from a very large screwdriver (plan B was to buy the special tool made for this job) , soaked the nut for 24 hours more (in Kroil this time), drank several glasses of wine (per Meridian Mike), and applied as much pressure as I could with my "new tool" and a long wrench and voila, it came loose! This morning I cleaned up the tang threads with a wire wheel, squared up the buggered up edges of the grooves in the nut as best I could, and everything went back together nice and tight. I was going to get a new nut from one of the knifemaker's supply places, but all of them I saw have rectangular grooves, not flared out ones like this one and on other Marbles like mine that I looked at. I guess that Marbles had a special tool or socket to fit on these? The last step will be to restitch the sheath that came with it. I wish that all my knifing projects would turn out this well. :D
Attachments
DSCN9216.JPG
DSCN9218.JPG
DSCN9221.JPG
DSCN9234.JPG
DSCN9235.JPG
DSCN9236.JPG
DSCN9237.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Well done!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking Bakelite Woodcraft, Herb! ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”