Queen 76' stamp question

The Queen Cutlery Company has been manufacturing knives in Titusville Pennsylvania for over 100 years. The company opened its factory in 1902 and continues to produce knives in the same way now as they did in their earliest years.
Gone2Three

Queen 76' stamp question

Post by Gone2Three » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:42 pm

Greetings everyone, my Queen collection continues to grow and I'm researching the different year production stamps and now I've got a question that maybe our experts can answer... why are there 2 different 76' tang stamps?... actually 3 if you count the military issue only stamp with the triangle over the Q.

I just picked up this from Smokey Mountain knife and noticed the difference stamp from the others in my collection.

As always...thanks for your help!
Attachments
s-l400 (4).jpg
s-l400 (4).jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 371 times
20200408_122938.jpg

Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Queen 76' stamp question

Post by Rookie » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:29 pm

I believe Queen changed owners that year, and the new owners wanted to come out with a variety of new stamps.
I collect Tuna Valley knives, and NKCA Youth knife prototypes.

Gone2Three

Post by Gone2Three » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Rookie wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:29 pm
I believe Queen changed owners that year, and the new owners wanted to come out with a variety of new stamps.
Thank you for your reply Rookie, I'm still pretty new here and didn't know that there was a reply to the thread, thought there would be a notification or something... I'll have to check my others.
I'd reached out to the Queen Cutlery with the question to see what they had to say. But if anyone here can elaborate on the ownership theory that would be appreciated as well.
Here's what the rep said from the history department in reference to the picture of the three different 76' stamps :

To your question … Queen like a lot of other companies wanted to make a big deal of the bicentennial. The top stamp utilized the long tail Q originally introduced in 1973. At some point in the year, possibly at the time they also designed the stamp for the military contract and special tang stamp (bottom), the more stylized and simplified long tail Q stamp (middle) was launched. This stamp was further refined and used from 1977 to 1983.

Regards,
Bob Welch

WillyCamaro
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WillyCamaro » Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 am

Thank you for posting that G2T, learned somethin' else about Queen 76'ers ::tu:: . From my understanding, of learning about Queen 76 knives on AAPK, was because those were years that they were in transition, they toyed with different stamps, till they came across one they liked.
I guess that's what Rookie said, just quick and too the point. Not like me, always take the long road and overcomplicate my posts :lol: .
Willy :D
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" - Winston Churchill
"Four Queens; that'll beat just about any hand going! Sweet!!" - Steve Warden

Gone2Three

Post by Gone2Three » Sun May 10, 2020 3:51 pm

WillyCamaro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 am
Thank you for posting that G2T, learned somethin' else about Queen 76'ers ::tu:: . From my understanding, of learning about Queen 76 knives on AAPK, was because those were years that they were in transition, they toyed with different stamps, till they came across one they liked.
I guess that's what Rookie said, just quick and too the point. Not like me, always take the long road and overcomplicate my posts :lol: .
It's all good Whilly, thanks for the additional information ::handshake::

WillyCamaro
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by WillyCamaro » Tue May 12, 2020 10:31 pm

Gone2Three wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 3:51 pm
WillyCamaro wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:17 am
It's all good Whilly, thanks for the additional information ::handshake::
:D ::tu::
I kinda have a thing for the 76' tang stamp, it reminds me of when chevy was in transition with the 69' Camaro, to the 71' ::super_happy:: .
Can't beat a Z/28 with the full RS/SS package ::ds:: .
"Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it" - Winston Churchill
"Four Queens; that'll beat just about any hand going! Sweet!!" - Steve Warden

Return to “Queen Cutlery Collector's Forum”