AG Russell ID

A place to discuss & share pictures of higher end Japanese manufacturers including Al Mar, Mcusta, Moki and other Seki companies.
Post Reply
cody6268
Posts: 1156
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

AG Russell ID

Post by cody6268 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 am

I bought this AG Russell Japan knife for just under $20. It is 2" closed from reading the seller's description.

What is it? I'm thinking "Ultimate Pen Knife", but the Phillips screws don't make sense--every one I've seen was Torx. Did I just buy a fake by mistake?


s-l1600.jpgAGRPK.jpg
AGR PK2.jpg

User avatar
XX Case XX
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2999
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:24 pm
Location: California

Re: AG Russell ID

Post by XX Case XX » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:18 pm

I'd send those photos directly to AG Russell and ask them. They would be the ones who would know for certain. Heck, they may even ask you to mail it to them so they can inspect it.

___________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: AG Russell ID

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:04 pm

cody6268 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 am
I bought this AG Russell Japan knife for just under $20. It is 2" closed from reading the seller's description.

What is it? I'm thinking "Ultimate Pen Knife", but the Phillips screws don't make sense--every one I've seen was Torx. Did I just buy a fake by mistake?



s-l1600.jpgAGRPK.jpg

AGR PK2.jpg
Cody, I have serious doubts about the stamps on that knife. They don’t look authentic to me at all. If it is an authentic knife, then it was probably made in the 1980’s or 90’s. I don’t recognize this one at all, but A.G. had a lot of knives made in Japan during that time period. I have a lot of them and I haven’t seen this model.
How is the run up on this? That’s the place where the blade and backspring meet when you open the knife. Is it tight or is there a gap? If it isn’t tight and well fitted, I would doubt that it’s made in Japan.
Mike gave you some good advice, email photo’s of this to A.G. Russell and ask them.
I hope you didn’t pay too much for this.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

cody6268
Posts: 1156
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: AG Russell ID

Post by cody6268 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:04 pm
cody6268 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 am
I bought this AG Russell Japan knife for just under $20. It is 2" closed from reading the seller's description.

What is it? I'm thinking "Ultimate Pen Knife", but the Phillips screws don't make sense--every one I've seen was Torx. Did I just buy a fake by mistake?



s-l1600.jpgAGRPK.jpg

AGR PK2.jpg
Cody, I have serious doubts about the stamps on that knife. They don’t look authentic to me at all. If it is an authentic knife, then it was probably made in the 1980’s or 90’s. I don’t recognize this one at all, but A.G. had a lot of knives made in Japan during that time period. I have a lot of them and I haven’t seen this model.
How is the run up on this? That’s the place where the blade and backspring meet when you open the knife. Is it tight or is there a gap? If it isn’t tight and well fitted, I would doubt that it’s made in Japan.
Mike gave you some good advice, email photo’s of this to A.G. Russell and ask them.
I hope you didn’t pay too much for this.
I haven't gotten it yet, and those were the seller's photos. I gave a little more than $15 for it. I will take my own, detailed photos of it and email them to AG Russell. I myself am very suspect, and for the same reasons you mention. The "stamps" on the blade are as sloppy as bargain bin specials. The Phillips screws don't make sense. If this is a predecessor of the "Ultimate Pen", none of those have the hasp on the keyring attachment.

I think one mistake I did make was the seller, who does, occasionally misrepresent stuff. And I kinda knew it before hand. If the knife is proven to be fake--it's going back.

search.php?keywords=++doodlefroodle+&te ... mit=Search

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: AG Russell ID

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:40 pm

cody6268 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:04 pm
cody6268 wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:52 am
I bought this AG Russell Japan knife for just under $20. It is 2" closed from reading the seller's description.

What is it? I'm thinking "Ultimate Pen Knife", but the Phillips screws don't make sense--every one I've seen was Torx. Did I just buy a fake by mistake?



s-l1600.jpgAGRPK.jpg

AGR PK2.jpg
Cody, I have serious doubts about the stamps on that knife. They don’t look authentic to me at all. If it is an authentic knife, then it was probably made in the 1980’s or 90’s. I don’t recognize this one at all, but A.G. had a lot of knives made in Japan during that time period. I have a lot of them and I haven’t seen this model.
How is the run up on this? That’s the place where the blade and backspring meet when you open the knife. Is it tight or is there a gap? If it isn’t tight and well fitted, I would doubt that it’s made in Japan.
Mike gave you some good advice, email photo’s of this to A.G. Russell and ask them.
I hope you didn’t pay too much for this.
I haven't gotten it yet, and those were the seller's photos. I gave a little more than $15 for it. I will take my own, detailed photos of it and email them to AG Russell. I myself am very suspect, and for the same reasons you mention. The "stamps" on the blade are as sloppy as bargain bin specials. The Phillips screws don't make sense. If this is a predecessor of the "Ultimate Pen", none of those have the hasp on the keyring attachment.

I think one mistake I did make was the seller, who does, occasionally misrepresent stuff. And I kinda knew it before hand. If the knife is proven to be fake--it's going back.

search.php?keywords=++doodlefroodle+&te ... mit=Search
Another one sold not too long ago on Ebay that looks just like this one except, the stamp looked right, it was a lockback and it had VG-10 stamped on it. It also had screws on the back side. VG-10 or AUS-8 or AUS-6 is seen on most knives from that era. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to fake a knife in this price range, unless they were hoping to get a lot more for it in auction. Maybe A.G. had two versions made of this, one that used better materials and one that was really inexpensive. Hard to say.
And I am not sure what label to put on this for a name or pattern. It’s pretty much just a basic knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1705
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:43 pm

Re: AG Russell ID

Post by Railsplitter » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 pm

Please let us know what the folks at A.G. Russell have to say. Here's a picture from an original listing of the Ultimate Pen Knife. This one appears to have the hasp but it doesn't show the screw heads.
Attachments
Ultimate.jpg
Ultimate.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 127 times
Rick T.
My Uncle owns a Red Barchetta.

Post Reply

Return to “High End Japanese Knife Collector's Forum”