My brother in law buys a lot of boxes of stuff at auctions, and sometimes in the bottom of those boxes there are pocket knives in various states of (dis) repair. He gives me a lot of them and I fix some of them for him and I get to keep some others. The Buck 301 C (1995) shown was one of these. As you can see in the before picture, it was a mess and must have befallen some sort of disaster. I personally think it may have gotten into some piece of powered machinery to do the damage shown. I reused the blades and springs, while making new liners, bolsters and handle material. Don't let anyone tell you that the American made Buck pocket knives are not as tough as they get. I knew this, but it was reinforced when I was trying to take this one apart.
When I first looked at it I was amazed that the shield wasn't knocked off. Then when you take it apart, you can see that the shield goes all the way down to the liner and is spot welded.
I was able to straighten the one damaged spring and reuse it. New liners and bolsters were made from nickle silver and the rehandle was done with snake wood. I tried to duplicate the angle of the original Buck bolsters. A friend of mine had given me piece of snakewood and this was my first use of it. Very hard stuff with a great looking grain and color. Probably called snake wood because of the "reptilian" look of it.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"