Fixing plastic scales

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Corso

Fixing plastic scales

Post by Corso »

I'm torn as I bought this Joseph Rodgers to rip off the scales and add some wood but...
P1010977.JPG
It turns out after a clean up the only issue with the scales is a wide crack aroud the hilt pin on both sides - It wouldn't bother me but as I've been using the knife and the crack on one side atleast has got worst.

Rather than rip off the scales can anyone suggest a filler, as invisible as possible?
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Fixing plastic scales

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Check this thread for using Acraglas to fix bone handle knives. It will also fix other knife handle materials. It can be colored to look like the original material. I don't know though if Acraglas is available in England. Maybe you have a similar material. The Acraglas kit I have came with brown and black dye packs.
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=57370
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
just bob

Post by just bob »

If this were mine I'd try CA glue. I'd use a toothpick and daub some just in the crack and avoid getting it on the surrounding surface. You could also add a very small amount of black paint or maybe black ink - a drop is too much. Just daub the end of the toothpick in the paint or ink. Use 0000 steel wool to clean the area after the patch job. Start on the back and if you aren't happy don't try the front and just rehandle. Post some pics. Good luck!
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I like CA glue, if it's just a crack and Acraglas or colored epoxy, if your trying to fill some space. I like to use tape, to cover areas, where I don't want the glue or Acraglas to get into, or on.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”