Slipjoint blade wobble problem

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Steve999

Slipjoint blade wobble problem

Post by Steve999 »

The main blade on my 1977 NKC&DA Kissing Cranes canoe has a lot of wobble. The backspring for the main blade is bent and appears to have pushed the bolster outwards creating a gap:
20181120_121220.jpg

Also, the same backspring is uneven at its tip where it touches the main blade's tang:
20181120_121349.jpg

Neither of the other two blades on this knife have any wobble whatsoever.

Can I do anything to fix the wobble in the main blade? Thanks for any replies.
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Slipjoint blade wobble problem

Post by glennbad »

It could be that the spring is thicker than the blade. If that is the case, then it would take major surgery to correct the situation. It could also be that the joint has worked loose. Is there any pin visible at the bolsters on that end?
SteelMyHeart85420

Post by SteelMyHeart85420 »

Short answer---no, there's not much you can do about that, unless you're prepared to disassemble it. Anything you can perhaps do for that spring/ blade alignment will require full access to all the pieces, I think. Maybe a new spring altogether. ETA: How the heck did that happen, anyway? Impact of some kind? ::shrug::
Steve999

Post by Steve999 »

I didn't think there was anything I could do about it. I just wanted to make sure. I don't know what caused the damage because I bought the knife on ebay. Of course the seller did not say anything about the damage but only described the knife as being unused. It wasn't necessarily damaged with use. It could have been poor quality control by the manufacturer. I'll just use the knife and stop using it if the wobble gets too bad.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by muskrat man »

the wobble can likely be fixed within a few minutes. the crooked spring and mating surfaces are just poor QC, its from where the parts were stamped out but not finish ground probably because they mated up correctly and if any material was removed to make it look pretty things would then be misaligned.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”