Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
User avatar
r redden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: Asheville, N.C.

Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby r redden » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:52 pm

I must admit I read more than post on AAPK but have found this forum to be a treasure trove of information so I wanted to ask for some help here. I came across this pre-KSF Dave Shirley era Northwoods what I believe to be a Willow leaf Hunter. I have found some info but would love to hear from some of you more knowledgeable folks any info you may have.
Here's what I believe to be correct info:
First as stated above I believe to be a Willow Leaf Hunter
Second if I'm correct the blade should be D2 tool steel
Third it has a wooden handle but not sure of what kind of wood.
Fourth The sheath seems to be correct for the knife and the attached pouch contains what appears to be the original sharpening stone.
Finally if I don't get in trouble for asking like I would on another forum I'm a member of that frowns on this type question**** the value. ::paranoid::
Thanks all,
Randy

dbEpdhQ[1].jpg
DlqngEe[1].jpg

User avatar
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 5689
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Lebanon, KY

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby Quick Steel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:28 am

Is the darkness of the blade due to some kind of coating or just a lack of light. I have no info for you but it is a very good looking knife. I've always liked willow leaf blades tho I've only had a couple.

User avatar
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 12804
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:32 pm
Location: Kentucky (Wildcat Country)

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby philco » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:05 am

It's hard to be sure looking at the knife from my vantage point, but I have to wonder if the handle might be some type of micarta rather than wood. If you have a good magnifying glass or loupe, take a close look and see if there is any indication of woven fabric design in the handle surface. I don't know enough about the knife to comment further except to say it looks like it would be an excellent hunting knife.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Our knives are more than metal and bone;
They're about who we are and the people we've known.

User avatar
r redden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: Asheville, N.C.

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby r redden » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:35 am

Quick Steel wrote:Is the darkness of the blade due to some kind of coating or just a lack of light. I have no info for you but it is a very good looking knife. I've always liked willow leaf blades tho I've only had a couple.


No coating just bad photography


philco wrote:It's hard to be sure looking at the knife from my vantage point, but I have to wonder if the handle might be some type of micarta rather than wood. If you have a good magnifying glass or loupe, take a close look and see if there is any indication of woven fabric design in the handle surface. I don't know enough about the knife to comment further except to say it looks like it would be an excellent hunting knife.


Defiantly wood aand not micarta

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 6456
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby kootenay joe » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:23 pm

Nice knife. I have, or had, at least 2 of the D.S. Northwoods fixed blades. Excellent knives, just as good as the current Bark River knives. Mike Stewart might even have made your knife.
I have seen the early Northwoods with Micarta but never with a blonde wood. Micarta can show a grain much like wood. I have been fooled in the past, thinking 'gotta be wood' but it actually was an ivory Micarta.
"Value" is a reasonable question and AAPK is a most reasonable association of fine folk.
Knife & sheath are as good as a BRK knife and the new prices for this size start about $220.
But if you are selling it, value is what someone will pay you which here would be $150 or a bit less.
kj

User avatar
r redden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:06 pm
Location: Asheville, N.C.

Re: Northwoods Willow Leaf Hunter

Postby r redden » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 am

kootenay joe wrote:Nice knife. I have, or had, at least 2 of the D.S. Northwoods fixed blades. Excellent knives, just as good as the current Bark River knives. Mike Stewart might even have made your knife.
I have seen the early Northwoods with Micarta but never with a blonde wood. Micarta can show a grain much like wood. I have been fooled in the past, thinking 'gotta be wood' but it actually was an ivory Micarta.
"Value" is a reasonable question and AAPK is a most reasonable association of fine folk.
Knife & sheath are as good as a BRK knife and the new prices for this size start about $220.
But if you are selling it, value is what someone will pay you which here would be $150 or a bit less.
kj


Thanks KJ that helps a lot. ::tu::


Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests