How well does Ganzo knives hold an edge?

Whether we like them or loath them, Chinese manufactured knives have found their way into collections of all sorts across the entire globe. The intent of this forum is to offer a place where AAPK members can discuss the knives and not the politics.
hard.times.lures

How well does Ganzo knives hold an edge?

Postby hard.times.lures » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:06 pm

Does anyone have any actual experience in how well Ganzo knives hold an edge? I believe the steel is 440C.

Thanks kindly, Bryan

big monk
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: How well does Ganzo knives hold an edge?

Postby big monk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:43 pm

I have had good luck with mine -- 440C was used by many knife companies for years & still is a great knife steel -- holds a good edge & easy to sharpen -- ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****

Doc B

Postby Doc B » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:44 pm

I've got three. One, I literally stripped a couple of wires with it...and I could catch the "roll" of the edge with my fingernail. I'm not convinced, that a company that makes knock-offs...like they do...are going to worry about giving the real 440 steel. Maybe leftover 440 steel and old cigarette butts. JMO

tallguy606

Postby tallguy606 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:34 pm

I agree, Doc. When a cheap import knife says 440C without verification, I tend to doubt it. They figure, will the owner be able to identify the steel in our blades? I doubt it. So call it anything.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm

It does not matter what the steel is claimed to be. A good knife steel with incorrect heat treat will not be a good blade. So forget whatever they call the steel and just use the knife and see how the edge holds up. So far 1 person says 'good' and i person says 'bad'. This thread needs more Ganzo users to post their experience.
I know that traditional style folding Rough Riders and knives made by SanRenMu arrive shaving sharp and hold their edges very well.
kj

TwoFlowersLuggage
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 am

I'm not a heavy user, but my Ganzo knives have held up as well as any other under $50 knife. Sure, it's not going to hold the edge of a Benchmade or Spyderco, but I have not seen any difference between Ganzo and Kershaw (for example).
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Tsar Bomba

Postby Tsar Bomba » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:02 am

I have two Ganzo autos. Neither have had heavy use but I've not been able to find any flaw with the clip blade on one of my autos. The other (a chunky homage to the Italian stilettos AFAICT) came butter-knife dull and I've never gotten around to sharpening it.

So far I have not rolled the edge of the one I've used, but it doesn't get much carry. Of course, both knives barely cost me a song even with shipping. I think I'm into them both for under $25.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

TwoFlowersLuggage
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Postby TwoFlowersLuggage » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:59 am

LTK had one of the new Ganzo FH11 knives with D2 steel tested and the results were pretty amazing. Spoiler: It really is D2 with a Rockwell hardness of 62:

"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives”