Is this "stainlless" shield common on a 062?

In 1911, H. N. Platts, was able to draw on his extensive friendships and family connections in the cutlery world to start Western States Cutlery and Manufacturing of Boulder Colorado. At first only a jobbing business, by 1920 construction and machinery purchases were underway to begin manufacture of knives. Through name changes--to Western States Cutlery Co. in 1953, then Western Cutlery Co. in 1956--and moves first across town and later to Longmont Colorado, the company stayed under the leadership of the Platt family until 1984. In that year, the company was sold to Coleman, becoming Coleman-Western. Eventually purchased by Camillus in 1991, Western continued until Camillus expired in 2007.
terryl308

Is this "stainlless" shield common on a 062?

Postby terryl308 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:52 pm

I own a few 62's but this is the only one I have with "stainless" stamped on the shield. It is a "Western U.S.A. stamped on the master blade and S-062 Stainless stamped on the opposite side. The secondary blade just has Stainless stamped on it. I just got this at a local gun show last weekend. It had a terrible job of sharpening done on it, so it has been "cleaned" by me, it never was a collectable, so I don't think it hurt it's value by making it a good user.
Attachments
DSC_1968.JPG
DSC_1969.JPG
DSC_1970.JPG
DSC_1971.JPG
DSC_1972.JPG
DSC_1973.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Is this "stainlless" shield common on a 062?

Postby treefarmer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:12 pm

Terry, I have a couple of those Western folding hunters and they seem like great knives. It will most certainly make a good user. I've never used one on a deer but I know they would do the job that my ol' #39 Queen does. :)
Just a comment on the picture of the shield. I looked at that expanded view and said, "What a mess!", then I looked at the shield on the one I had on my desk under a magnifying glass and said "What a mess!". I guess they just melted the shields into the delrin and were glad they stuck. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

terryl308

Re: Is this "stainlless" shield common on a 062?

Postby terryl308 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:01 am

I agree, that shield is a mess! Almost looks like it has been replaced with a sloppy job of glueing but I believe they did melt it in. A user for sure. thanks, terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Western Cutlery Collector's Forum”