Dzuz aircraft snoopy tool.

The Camillus Cutlery Company was one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States with roots dating back to 1876. The company manufactured Camillus branded knives and was a prolific contractor for other knife brands up until its last days in 2007 when the company filed for bankruptcy.
mrwatch

Dzuz aircraft snoopy tool.

Post by mrwatch »

do you see him? VINTAGE Bakelite HANDLE SNOOPY TOOL
I found this at a antique mall and after doing some research, I found some say it is a TOOL for use on DZUS WWII Aircraft in the Air Force or for use on an Engine Cowling or panels.
Dzus fastener
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The DZUS fasteners (gold coloured circular objects) fastening the cowling panels of the 1930s Hawker Hind

DZUS turnlock fasteners—named after their inventor—William Dzus (pronounced "Zeus") refers to a type of proprietary quarter-turn lock fastener that is often used to secure skin panels on aircraft and other high-performance vehicles. Turnlock fasteners are also referred to as quick-action panel fasteners.
Attachments
DSCN4455.jpg
DSCN4456.jpg
DSCN4458.jpg
eveled

Re: Dzuz aircraft snoopy tool.

Post by eveled »

That is very cool. Great find. Camillus had their hands in everything. Hard to believe such a prolific and visionary company could go down as hard as they did.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Neat! We just ust a regular screwdriver for Dzus fasteners.
Yup, held on panels on the C-135, C-141, C-130 and C-5s I worked on. Sure beat regular screws - quick quarter-turn and "pop", it's on or off.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

I concur with Steve Warden. We used those fasteners on some of the ground power equipment in the Air Force as well. They sure saved some time. The Snoopy tool was standard issue in most tool boxes. Steve B. USAF retired.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......I have one of those somewhere........if I could just remember where I put it!!!!............ ::dang:: ::facepalm:: ..................
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

bladebuddy wrote:I concur with Steve Warden. We used those fasteners on some of the ground power equipment in the Air Force as well. They sure saved some time. The Snoopy tool was standard issue in most tool boxes. Steve B. USAF retired.
Forgot about AGE.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

I have DZUZ fasteners on the battery cover of my MGB but I just use a stubby screwdriver; never realized there was a dedicated tool for them. (What a great excuse to post a photo of the car.)

Roadside assistance folks always scratch their heads when they pop the bonnet on an MGB as the battery is located behind the seats.

Dennis
Attachments
MGB.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

A photo of two types of actual Dzus fasteners. The tool shown would be used on the screwdriver slotted one on the right. The other one on the left has tabs to turn with the fingers. The flush mounted screwdriver slotted ones were used in aerodynamic situations while the wing nut type one were used on interior non aerodynamic panels for quick removal. The little curly ended spring was held on underneath the panel with 2 rivets and the twist lock style Dzus fasteners were captured and held in the panel. I got these in the bottom of an old tool box I bought decades ago at a garage sale and have kept them in my parts cabinet ever since. Even more amazing, I actual knew where they were to take this photo!!!
IMG_2197.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:A photo of two types of actual Dzus fasteners. The tool shown would be used on the screwdriver slotted one on the right. The other one on the left has tabs to turn with the fingers. The flush mounted screwdriver slotted ones were used in aerodynamic situations while the wing nut type one were used on interior non aerodynamic panels for quick removal. The little curly ended spring was held on underneath the panel with 2 rivets and the twist lock style Dzus fasteners were captured and held in the panel. I got these in the bottom of an old tool box I bought decades ago at a garage sale and have kept them in my parts cabinet ever since. Even more amazing, I actual knew where they were to take this photo!!!

IMG_2197.JPG
AHHHHH!! FLASHBACK!!! :shock:
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Vit_213

Post by Vit_213 »

fastener key.jpg
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

The F-4 used them also.
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)

Return to “Camillus Cutlery Collector's Forum”