Shapleigh Sample Paring Knife

A place to discuss sharp and pointy things from the kitchen.
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Shapleigh Sample Paring Knife

Post by jxr1197 »

Kind of a fancy paring knife I picked up here. It's a Shapleigh sample knife and it's got all the bells and whistles. The mark side got a nice swedge. Both sides are polished and machine turned and they used a much nicer wood for the handles than typical Old Hickory knives would get. Heck, I'm not even sure it is an Old Hickory, but it kind of looks like one and they did have a history with Shapleigh. The ink stamp over the machine turning shows design patent pending and I can't dig up any info on a DE404 so maybe this one never made it past the sample room? Anyway, it's a nice little knife. 6-5/8 OA with a 3-3/16 blade.
404front.jpg
404ink.jpg
404stamp.jpg
404profile.jpg
404handle.jpg
- Jason
XX Case XX

Re: Shapleigh Sample Paring Knife

Post by XX Case XX »

Hey that's pretty slick. I like that. I also recognize the "Diamond Edge" symbol. Very nice find. ::nod::

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Nice knife! I know Shapleigh didn't make their own knives but rather contracted them to various makers. The engine turning on the blade is very reminiscent of the Ernest Warther Co. of Dover Ohio who still make kitchen cutlery like that. I wonder if they possibly made it for Shapleigh? Their company goes back to the early 1900's so it is possible.Here is a pic of a paring knife I have by them(third from the bottom)
Attachments
7paringknives1.jpg
E.Warther&SonsDoverOhioParingKnifeBladeCloseup1.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jxr1197 »

knife7knut wrote:The engine turning on the blade is very reminiscent of the Ernest Warther Co. of Dover Ohio who still make kitchen cutlery like that.
That's a nice group of knives there. I've spent an hour poring over google images of old Warthers, and ebay and their website too. They make some really nice looking knives ::tu:: This is the first I heard of them and I see a lot of familiar elements in that Shapleigh. You might be onto something there.
- Jason

Return to “In The Kitchen”