Future Wood Knife Handle Scales

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn

Future Wood Knife Handle Scales

Postby Jeffinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 am

Some days I like to work with wood. Here's a few pieces that I made for future use as knife scales;
future_knife_scales.jpg

The first two pieces are 3/8" walnut with a basketweave wood strip inlaid in the scale. The second ones are 1/4" poplar wood pieces with a diamond pattern wood strip inlaid in the scale. And the third ones are 1/4" red oak with the diamond pattern wood strip inlaid in the scale.Now I just have to figure out which knives to use them on.
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

americanedgetech
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Future Wood Knife Handle Scales

Postby americanedgetech » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 am

Do you intend to stabilize them in any way?

I ask because Red Oak in particular has a Very porous structure. When it is dried you can actually blow thru a 2" long piece like a straw.
I have been looking into the resins used, and I have a vacuum pot for de-gassing epoxies. Just something to consider...
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Jeffinn

Re: Future Wood Knife Handle Scales

Postby Jeffinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Hi Ken,
I don't do anything in the way of stabilization. All of the wood scales that I make and use are costed with 3-6 coats of polyurethane to seal and protect the wood. It's water resistant, stain resistant and fairly durable so it should be adequate for most knife use. Will it hold up well in everyday use? Time will tell.
Thanks for the insight!
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”