does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
thickskinner54

does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

Postby thickskinner54 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 am

I have a question about this knife here. I have been collecting case knives for about 6 years now and I recently found this one here. It does not look like any Case knife that I have seen up to now. There are 2 knife blades and a nail file blade. To me, it looks like a swell center on the shield side but not on the other(pile?)side. These photos are the best I can do right now as I don't physically possess the knife at this time. Does anyone recognize it? Is it a genuine Case? Do you know the style, year and worth of it?
Thanks, guys. I appreciate any help with this one.
Attachments
oldcase5.jpg
oldcase4.jpg
oldcase3.jpg
oldcase2.jpg
old case1.jpg

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: does anyone recognize this "case" knife? Is it legit?

Postby knifeaholic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi; the knife is authentic. It is a 6370 pattern, split backspring "whittler" with a "humpback" frame. A fairly rare pattern.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide second edition released November, 2015.

Visit My AAPK Store:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/knifeaholic

thickskinner54

Postby thickskinner54 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:59 am

Thanks, Knifeaholic, I appreciate the help. ::tu:: would you happen to know the period it was made? In your opinion, is it worth $200? Thanks again, I asked around plenty before posting it here. Should have come here first ::dang::

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby knifeaholic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:14 pm

thickskinner54 wrote:Thanks, Knifeaholic, I appreciate the help. ::tu:: would you happen to know the period it was made? In your opinion, is it worth $200? Thanks again, I asked around plenty before posting it here. Should have come here first ::dang::

1920's to 1930's time frame.

It is a scarce pattern and a whittler. If the blades have good snap, and the handles have no cracks, well worth 200.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide second edition released November, 2015.

Visit My AAPK Store:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/knifeaholic

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Mumbleypeg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:38 pm

If there's a way to examine the knife in hand, do so. I noticed in the pictures you posted that the master blade seems to have a odd, awkward appearance as it is opened fully. The blade appears to open beyond the point it should stop. Could indicate a problem with the spring or the blade tang.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 249 times

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

"Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right and almost right."
- Charles H. Spurgeon
https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”