I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

This forum is for discussing and showing off anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
Captain O
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 pm

I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Captain O » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:50 am

I know that the SOG Mini-Pentagon is made in Taiwan with a 3.63" AUS-8 blade and is 7.88 in OAL it weighs 3.3 ounces. The Gerber Guardian is made in the USA (39.7 miles from where I live). It is manufactured from 420 High Carbon Steel and has a 3.41" blade and is 7.28" in OAL and weighs 3 ounces. I am leaning toward the Guardian but also like the slightly larger Mini-Pentagon. The only problem with the Mini-Pentagon is it has been reported to have a flimsier blade than the Guardian.

Any opinions?
This post is approved by Arf The Wonder Chicken. :wink:

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 24589
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby jerryd6818 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Not a dimes worth of difference in them. Put 'em in a sack, shake 'em up and you wouldn't be able to say which one would fall out first. Get the Gerber. Buy American and support your local economy.
Attachments
Gerber Guardian-Back Up.jpg
SOG Mini Pentagon.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
FRJ
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7332
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby FRJ » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Gerber .................. in a heart beat ...................
Joe

User avatar
Colonel26
Posts: 5510
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Colonel26 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Gerber USA or SOG Taiwan? What's the dilemma? Gerber USA.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

Captain O
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Captain O » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:45 pm

I bit and went for the Gerber. If their 420HC is anywhere near as good as Buck's, I'll be in business.
This post is approved by Arf The Wonder Chicken. :wink:

User avatar
garddogg56
Posts: 5597
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 am
Location: Maine Aya up North

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby garddogg56 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:13 am

Gerber ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Captain O
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Captain O » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:57 am

All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

D'ya think? ::uc::
This post is approved by Arf The Wonder Chicken. :wink:

Captain O
Posts: 252
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Captain O » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:28 am

I'm expecting delivery from Amazon of both my Gerber Guardian (and an old-fashioned black military-type web belt) by Saturday the 25th. (The belt is necessary to carry my Cold Steel PBL20 Peace Maker II). For $7.00 I couldn't go wrong. The old military web belt rarely wears out and is adjustable out to 52 inches.

I think that I will like both.
This post is approved by Arf The Wonder Chicken. :wink:

User avatar
zp4ja
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 3477
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 pm
Location: Northern Nevada

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby zp4ja » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Captain O wrote:All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

D'ya think? ::uc::


You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 24589
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby jerryd6818 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Good advice Jerry. Knives come in a poor and distant second as self defense devices. They're better than a club or a rock but that's about it.

Edit: On second thought, in the right hands, actually a stick is better than a knife.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4435
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 5% of the time

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby gsmith7158 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:18 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:Good advice Jerry. Knives come in a poor and distant second as self defense devices. They're better than a club or a rock but that's about it.

Edit: On second thought, in the right hands, actually a stick is better than a knife.


I've heard it said "ain't nothing like a good piece of hickory".
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

User avatar
Colonel26
Posts: 5510
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Colonel26 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:47 pm

1st rule of knife fighting.....you ARE going to get cut.

2nd rule of knife fighting......DON'T get in a knife fight.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

User avatar
Lansky1
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:47 am
Location: N/E PA

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Lansky1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:11 pm

zp4ja wrote:
Captain O wrote:All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

D'ya think? ::uc::


You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry


Jerry,

This is exactly what I was thinking - there are too many guys out there with WAY better tactical knife skills than I do to ever carry a knife for defense. I CCW
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !!

John

User avatar
zp4ja
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 3477
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 pm
Location: Northern Nevada

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby zp4ja » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 pm

Lansky1 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
Captain O wrote:All I need is a shoulder harness to clip this thing on so that I can draw it from beneath a Navy Blue windbreaker (I choose Navy because I want to keep the knife hidden until I need to produce it). You have to admit, such a harness can come in handy during an emergency/crisis situation. ::hmm::

D'ya think? ::uc::


You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry


Jerry,

This is exactly what I was thinking - there are too many guys out there with WAY better tactical knife skills than I do to ever carry a knife for defense. I CCW


I am with ya Lansky! As I said to each his own. I don't even consider my EDC knives as backup to my Primary CCW. For that task, I carry a second gun, a SIG Micro 1911 P938 with 2 spare extended mags. If that and my primary carry also with 2 spare mags is not enough for the job, I am obviously in deep doo doo and a knife sure as hell is NOT going to be of any help. Just how I do it and I live in a safe town.

Additionally, if getting a gun permit was an issue (not where I am, very easy), I would prefer to carry a gun versus a dagger as they both likely have the same legal punishment involved if caught.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.

User avatar
Colonel26
Posts: 5510
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 am
Location: Kentucky

Re: I am vacillating between a Mini-Pentagon and a Guardian.

Postby Colonel26 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:08 pm

zp4ja wrote:
Lansky1 wrote:
zp4ja wrote:
You might want to invest in a gun if defense is your intent. I imagine your state issues permits. I assume concealed carry of such a knife is illegal in your area, correct? To each his own. Just a suggestion if defense is the intent.
Jerry


Jerry,

This is exactly what I was thinking - there are too many guys out there with WAY better tactical knife skills than I do to ever carry a knife for defense. I CCW


I am with ya Lansky! As I said to each his own. I don't even consider my EDC knives as backup to my Primary CCW. For that task, I carry a second gun, a SIG Micro 1911 P938 with 2 spare extended mags. If that and my primary carry also with 2 spare mags is not enough for the job, I am obviously in deep doo doo and a knife sure as hell is NOT going to be of any help. Just how I do it and I live in a safe town.

Additionally, if getting a gun permit was an issue (not where I am, very easy), I would prefer to carry a gun versus a dagger as they both likely have the same legal punishment involved if caught.

Jerry


Good point in the last one there.

I handled one of those 938's. it was a real nice little gun. I was impressed.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee


Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests