GEC # 97

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC # 97

Post by gsmith7158 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:20 am

They're here! They're here here ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: just paid for mine at CK.
Attachments
97eb.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:04 am

I too received notification from CK that the ebony Northfield 97 is inbound (to CK) and so i too paid for it.
kj

HighPlains

Post by HighPlains » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:19 pm

4A469AB9-964F-4C68-9589-809E6A4356B8.jpeg
:shock: Those are some fat slabs!
7E605BF2-558C-4B3C-9076-260055C667BB.jpeg

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:47 pm

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
You won’t be disappointed with the cherrywood jigged. It’s as nice as any I have.
Ebony on it’s way. I hope I can get one of those stags.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:38 am

Those stag slabs look top notch. I wish GEC would try to fit these by grinding off from the underside so as to have bolster to bolster exterior stag surface. There must be a reason why they grind off the top to get a fit to the bolsters. Likely it is easier but the old Sheffield dudes managed to haft with all exterior bark showing so i'm sure GEC could master it too.
kj

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 am

kootenay joe wrote:Those stag slabs look top notch. I wish GEC would try to fit these by grinding off from the underside so as to have bolster to bolster exterior stag surface. There must be a reason why they grind off the top to get a fit to the bolsters. Likely it is easier but the old Sheffield dudes managed to haft with all exterior bark showing so i'm sure GEC could master it too.
kj
Selecting the best looking stag is about like picking the prettiest girl was in junior high school. Fortunately we did not all think the same one was the best looking. My preference is smooth stag polished flush with the bolsters and a little bulge that keeps all of the bark high of the bolsters. The way Americans haft stag bolster to bolster bark necessitates exposed bolster edges that usually are radiused at the ends of grooves and other low spots. It is common on German knives to see almost bolster to bolster bark with an abrupt step down to the bolster. While to me that looks like the hafters did not blend the stag into the bolster to save time, that is another way to get nearly full bark coverage. While they were less common some of the 82 Dixie Stockmans had stag the way you like it. They did not sell fast so if you hunt through the pictures of individual stag 97s at stores there's a good chance you'll find a 97 that is to your taste.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:06 pm

MSJ i think when the Stag 97's get to dealers they will be snapped up quickly. If you see a really nice one but then go on to check out the others, likely when you come back for the "really nice one" it will have been sold ::teary_eyes::
kj

FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:06 pm

GEC-ILLUSTRATED.jpg
This is such a nice looking knife, but just too large for what I would need to carry. Still tempted to grab one though.

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:18 pm

kootenay joe,

There was plenty of time to pick out my stag 82 Dixie Stockmans. They were available about the first week of January and less that a week ago one dealer was still showing pictures of 33 individual knives. I took a couple of weeks selecting mine and during that time the number of Dixies that dealers were displaying pictures of dropped from about 80 to around 70. While I like large Coke bottles and other large slip joints they only appeal to a tiny percentage of knife buyers and either here or on Bladeforums it was posted that including all handle covers GEC is making over 5,000 97s. On the other hand, it appears popularity of GEC patterns decreases as the number of blades increases.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:35 pm

Wow, 5,000 is a large run that i do not associate with GEC. I guess i am out of date as i think of runs of 500 - 750 as being typical for a GEC pattern.
I really like a Swell Center Folding Hunter pattern and i think this smaller 4 3/4" size will be 'right on'. The standard size for this pattern is 5 1/4 - 5 3/8". Hence i think it will be popular, but with 5,000 they won't sell out in a 'wink'.
kj

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Quote FS: "This is such a nice looking knife, but just too large for what I would need to carry. Still tempted to grab one though"
This pattern is one intended for use in hunting, mostly deer hunting and as such the size is 'just right' for field dressing a whitetail deer. It is also a good size to belt carry for those who do any kind of outdoor work.
But even if you don't hunt or do much outside or outdoors cutting, it i think is still worth getting because in hand you will get the 'Oh Wow !' feeling that we knifers love.
kj

Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:35 pm

Recieved mine yesterday, it will be going back.

As stated above, this pattern was designed as a hunting knife. Well, I wouldn't get within 5 feet of a deer or bear that needed dressed with this knife. My #43 has what I would describe as an extremely light pull (especially for it's size,) and it is MUCH stronger than this #97 I recieved. I'd rate it at about a 3 1/2 pull maybe. I wouldn't feel safe using this for much more than moderate kitchen use. The spring is so weak, I nearly have to place the blade in the closed position. Absolutely no snap. They would have been much better if going without a half stop and having a stiffer spring, or better yet, made it with a liner lock.

I haven't been this disappointed with a GEC since at least the #38 Specials. Its such a shame, this #97 pattern had such promise.

Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:20 am

How do you screw up the pull on a single-blade jack? This is a disappointing development considering I have 2 en route.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:03 am

I picked up a 97 Tidioute with maroon Micarta today. The pull is not stiff but it is stiff enough to keep the blade closed and to hold the fully open position when in use. This is all a spring has to do. Any stronger pull is excess, but nice if you like to hear a loud 'cluck' as it slams shut.
I'm o.k. with the pull even though i agree it is on the 'softer side', but i still does the job, and i like it.
kj.
Edit to add: blade edge shaves arm hair. It's ready for Mr. Whitetail right out of the tube !

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”